1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer connection to Pro Logic receiver and equalizer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JPowers, Jul 5, 2003.

1. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My receiver is obsolete, but still has some life in it (at least for my taste). It's a Denon AVR2500 w/Dolby Pro Logic. I ordered a new subwoofer for it, and decided to connect it through the pre-out/main in connections on the back of the receiver. The reason I made this decision is because If I were to use the mono subwoofer connection on the back of the receiver, the front L and R speakers would still play full range. There is no subwoofer adjustment for this receiver and no way to select small speakers in the menu to cutoff the low frequencies.

Right now I have an equalizer hooked up to the pre-out/main in on the receiver, so I have 2 options. I can keep the pre-out connected to the equalizer, then from the equalizer my new Monster Cables to the sub and then back to the main in on the receiver. This would allow me full control of all frequencies, but at what expense? Will there be a signal loss along the way?

The other option is to run the pre-out directly to the sub, then back to the equalizer, then to the main in on the receiver. This option allows me control of frequencies only above 85hz on the equalizer since the high pass crossover on the sub filtered the signal below 85hz.

I bought some decent cable for the sub (2 - 4 meter pairs of Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII), but the cable I'm using now between the receiver and the equalizer, although very good, doesn't match up to the 400 MkII. It's called Stinger Venom, and it's used in high end car audio. These sections are only maybe a foot long. Here are a couple of pictures of the Stinger Cable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I decide to run through the equalizer before the sub, should I buy a short section of Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII, or is what I have good enough? Thanks for any help!:)

John

2. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a search, but couldn't find anything! Can anyone please help me? :confused:

John

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hello i'm no sub expert but i would use the high level input on the sub if you have this option.I think my sub as a set crossover of 80hz at high level.I don't think many or any subs (only guessing)have input/output at low level,the subs i loooked at didn't.

4. JPowers

JPowers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply bob1. I ended up running the L and R pre-out connections directly to the sub where the high pass crossover filters out everything under 85hz, then back to the equalizer and then to the main in on the receiver. My low pass is set at 90hz for the sub. I'll see how this sounds.

I spoke with someone at Velodyne who seemed very knowledgeable, or at least very confident in his opinions. He thinks that high priced RCA cables are a scam, other than the fact that the connections might be better. I don't know if I completely agree with that because of the shielding capabilities of the mid to higher priced cables, but the cables I have are good enough for me. I mentioned break in procedures of the sub and he thought that was unnecessary. Better to be safe than sorry. My sub is currently playing at a low level before I put more power into it. I think doing things like buying better wire and breaking in the sub offer peace of mind. It can't hurt!