Subwoofer connection query

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by lostprophet, Oct 21, 2004.

1. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi hoping someone can advise me. I have my sub connected to my av amp and my fronts running off a 2 ch fed from the av amp.
    I'm currently using the A+B outputs from the 2 ch to bi-wire the fronts, my question is can I use the B output to drive the sub when i'm listening to my cd's and just bi-wire from A or do the speaker outputs from the sub need to be connected to speakers.

Reason I wanted to do this is so I can just turn off the B channel when watching movies so the sub only gets a signal from the AV amp and not both.

2. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can no-one help me, I would like to know that if I use the speaker connections on the sub do I need to connect the outputs to speakers or not, if ?I don't will that damage the sub at all??

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Let me see if i understood this:

You want to send a signal from your ".1" out on you AV amp. You also want to send a high-level signal from your other 2ch amp (which is getting an input from your AV fl/fr preout) using SPKRS B connection. Right?

Your plan is to turn "SKPR B off" and "Sub out on" when seeing a movie, and "SKPR B on" and "Sub out off" when listening to music?

HMN! not sure you'll damage it if you forget both signals on! It might not sound nice but not 100% sure about damage (maybe someone here can confirm!) - but are you sure it's worth the hassle? I mean - did you connect the sub to SPKR B and test this setup? Did you hear the difference?

4. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yeah thats exactly what I want to do. No I haven't ried it yet, was seeking advice first and yeah I'd say it will be worth it, I feel my 2 ch set-up is lacking bass so would like to be able to use the sub with cd's too.

As a case in point my pc is connected to my av amp and when listening to music on that the sub is on and although the sound quality isn't anywhere near the 2ch the sub sings along nicely. I feel I've integrated my sub pretty well considering its all been done by ear, its volume is barely past 1, just thought it would be an easy way to add it to music and get that bit more depth

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    do you think you'd loose anything if you just connect your cd-player to an input on the AV amp! that should be the easiest solution!

6. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the input Sniper

As to it being easier to connect my cd to AV amp: maybe, maybe not. I bought the 2 ch when my AV amp sucked! Then was offered an upgrade a matter of weeks later so although the 2 ch was a definate improvement over my old AV amp, I'm not so sure what my new one is like in stereo (it sounds pretty good but I'm only playing mp3's so who can say!?), I'm just presuming that the stereo amp will be better.

And it really isn't too much trouble to run to bits of speaker wire to a sub about 2 metres away. I only really want to know if its safe or will it damage the subs amp if I don't terminate the outputs with speakers

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    as for the damage i wouldn't think know 100% - my guess is that no damage should occur!

if you connect the cd to the av amp then pass on the signal to the other amp you'd be using just the pre-amp section of you AV amp! i would try it but it your call!

8. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sniper I hadn't actually thought about that but of course your correct! :clap:

Slight problem being the interconnect I have from the CD is only 0.5m and won't reach to the AV amp, and even if it did, at the moment the cable from the pre-out to the stereo amp is only a couple of steps up from a dixon's freebie.

I think I'll just leave it be then follow your advice when I can afford to blow some more money on cables!

You ever used Mark Grant's cables? I hear good things, how do they compare with QED Quinex II's, I'm guessing they wipe the floor with them or peeps on here wouldn't give them the time of day.

9. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    never actually used Mark Grant's - but i'm sure they're top-notch as a lot of members here use them with very expensive equipment!

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'd check the manual first, as going by your sig you have a Paradigm. It's been a long time since I had it but I'm pretty sure my PS1000 manual said not to connect the high and low level inputs at the same time.

11. lostprophet

lostprophet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Avanzato, I won't be doing that anyhows. Just need to upgrade some cabling to get the best from my system