1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Connection Query- newbie alert !

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pete_barbour, Oct 26, 2005.

1. pete_barbour

pete_barbour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There !

Hoping a couple of you guys out there can offer me some advice and point me in the right direction...

A friend donated me an unwanted Subwoofer the other day, I went to cable it up to my amp last night and realised I have no compatible input for the Sub :(

The Sub itself has a hard wired 2 core cable running out of the back of the unit (you know they kind - the cheap kind you normally get bundled with speakers). But the only input I have on the back of my amp for a Sub is the Single Coax looking connection (RCA ?).

Is there any way I can get his Sub hooked up by either getting it re-cabled, or buying an adapter ? Or shall I just hand it back to my mate with a polite 'thanks, but no thanks'...

Cheers !
    Pete

2. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would hand it back....if you have a decent set up its worth getting a reasonable sub....Richer sounds do some reasonable subs at good prices...ps the sub your mate gave you is bound to be a passive sub anyway and even if you could wire it up to your amp (which I dont think you can) you wouldnt notice much difference....if you buy a decent sub it will be active (ie has its own built in amp) which will then be driven via the coaxial connection (or via the speaker wires) although the coax connection you mention is the best and easiest way...good luck :)

3. pete_barbour

pete_barbour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply...

For reference the Sub is a Sony SS-WMSP67E