subwoofer connection in a 2.1 stereo set

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by georgee, Feb 4, 2014.

1. georgee

georgee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a little bit uncertain how to connect correctly my subwoofer to the amp for a classic 2.1 stereo system.

My stereo system is composed of: 2 PSB speakers, BIC Acoustech subwoofer and YAQIN MS-34D tube amp, which has double RCA speaker’s connections: one pair for 4 Ohms, another one for 8 ohms. See all pictures here:

Sub: BIC America 2014 | Powered Home Subwoofer - TopTenREVIEWS

YAQIN MS-34D: Yaqin MS-34D

No subwoofer output. My 2 PSB speakers are connected to 8 Ohms and ground posts, I have only one R and L 4 ohms connectors free. My question is: can I connect a cable between 4 ohms output and subwoofer inputs? Should I rather switch and connect PSB to 4 ohms inputs instead and use 8 ohms outputs for subwoofer or it really does not matter? Any Y splitter needed?

Thank you for your help in advance

George

2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As I haven't been able to see a manual for the sub I'm unsure about the best solution to suggest.
    From what I've read the amp in the sub can be switched on or off. However its not clear if the amp is in circuit when fed from the speaker terminals. Value amps are more sensitive to load so one needs to be more careful with how things are wired.

From what I can see the safest solution would be to wire up the sub to the 8ohm terminals and then wire the speakers to the subs speaker outputs. This may not give the best sound results but its unlikely to cause a load problem for the amp.

3. georgee

georgee
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply.But how do i connect the amp with the sub?With one cable or two: Plus and minus (or L and R) on both ends?Or it will be enough to connect using one channel only, say R?

4. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As I mentioned above I don't have the manual so I'm making some assumptions. However this is based on usual and expected practice, so unless the sub manufacturer has done something really strange this should be safe.
    Wire the 2 left speaker cables from the amp to the sub's left speaker inputs and the 2 right to the sub's right. Normally a sub will have a crossover on this input so that the low frequencies are taken care of by the sub while the rest of the audio range is passed through to speaker outputs on the sub which you again use to wire up the left and right speakers.
    On the choice between 4 and 8 ohm taps you can only try for yourself and see which you prefer. My assumption would be that the 8 ohm would be better but thats just a guess.