1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer connected to standard speaker output???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by agw_01, Nov 26, 2002.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just joined up to this forum and I think its great.

I have a quick question and would appreciate a little help :)

I currently have a Sony TAFE-230 Amplifier (selling it next year and getting something a little better) connected to a pair of Mission 700 speakers.

I also have a TEAC AG-260 Reciever which I use as a tuner for my seperates system, and was just wondering if it would be ok to plug my 10" subwoofer into one of the speaker outputs on that.

Would it damage the sub, as it would have some high notes being put through it. I would turn the treble down and the bass up high so that it would help to reduce the high tones, but would it be ok?

I am getting rid of my TAFE-230 soon and am hoping to pick something with a sub woofer output, but for the moment I would like to use this subwoofer.

The TEAC amp is already damaged... I had a pair of AIWA 4 ohm speakers connected to it when I got it, and when I got my Mission speakers and had them connected to it for a few months, it died on one channel. I then had that repaired but the other channel went, thus the reason for my buying my sony amp.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post :(

2. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If I understand correctly, you are using the tuner part of the receiver, but not feeding the amp part with a signal from any source (CD, DVD, etc). In this case, there won't be anything piped to the speaker outputs.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just run a second set of speaker cable to the sub from the same terminals on the Sony as you have the Missions running from... the sub will play those lower frequencies which the 700's can't get down to.

Ignore the terminals on the other amp.

4. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Pleasant, I have my Panasonic VCR going through the TEAC reciever and I was also going to switch some other devices over to it, like my computer and CD-Player, but thanks for the input. :)

Nobber22... I thought about doing that, but wont running 2 speakers off one terminal damage the amp. I want to be able to sell this amp next year but don't want it to be damaged.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109

Maybe. Depends if the amp is active (no worries) or passive (depends on the power of the amp vs. how easy the sub is to drive). What sub do you have? The Missions are very easy to drive - I have a set running off a budget amp and they are still great. :)

6. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub is just a cheap 10" thing which my sisters boyfriend bought off one of his mates for £2 :D

Ill take it out of the box later and see if it has any names on it. I think it's 4 ohms.

How do I find out if my amp is active or passive. It is plugged into the mains (lmao, stupid me)... but im not sure whether the rules for car amps are the same as hi-fi amps.

Yes, the missions are excellent speakers. :)

I paid £60 for them from an electrical retailer, not bad when they should have been £130!!! :D

7. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    He means if your sub is active (Has a built in amplifier) or not...

I dont think it would actually benefit your system though, probably do more harm (Not physical, I mean audible) than good :(

8. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohhhhhh.... I wondered why I had never heard of a passive hi-fi amp before :)

No, the sub is passive :(

I might just have to wait until I get a better amp with a sub out. :)

The sub seems pretty easy to drive, as when I plug it into my TEAC amp (25 w/pc) and turn it up to about a 1/3, it makes a lot of noise :eek:

Is anybody selling or wtt a sony amp with a sub out or something similar? Im only looking for cheap budget stuff.

Thanks

P.S. What do you mean by audible harm? Would it drown out the missions too much or reduce the power to one of them?

9. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I mean since it is passive, it bascially won't sound good, and it's going to draw power from your amp. I think it will do more harm than good to your system, sonically :(

10. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh right cheers.

I wasn't sure whether it would damage anything so I wanted to check before I set it up long term. I can live with my missions for now, they provide enough bass to fill my tiny bedroom :) and my amp is more than adequate.

I take it that if I got an amplifier/reciever with a sub output it would sound ok, even though the sub woofer is passive. I am just checking the sony site to see if the reciever that I have seen is there.

Will let you know and thanks again.
    Andrew

11. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this is the one ive seen elsewhere. Its rather nice for a budget piece of hi-fi. What do you think?

Sony STR-DE375B

12. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Avoid that older Sony. It has no DD/DTS or PLII. It needs a DVD player with a built in decoder (rare and pricy these days) and you need 3 x phono leads to go from player to amp (more cost).

Rather look at some of the Sony's higher up the range or the Yamaha AX430 or Denon 1602/1603. Or Marantz 4200/4300.

Don't use that sub for anything. It is likely rubbish and will distort at any reasonable volume increase. It will also drain power meant for other speakers in 2.1 or 5.1 setup 'cos it's passive.

13. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with Nobber on this one,

I can only imagine that the sub will make things worse. Plus as it is a passive sub you *WILL NOT* be able to drive this from the sub output of a DD amp. THe sub output is at line level and designed to be fed into an active sub. It will not drive the subwoofer.

If you are really bothered about the lack of bass then buy a cheapo active sub.

14. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There isn't really a lack of bass, I would just like more. lol

As for the amp, I will have to see what I can afford at the time.
    I might wait a few years and then get something pretty special :)

Thanks for all the input. What active sub woofer would you guys recommend for a budget setup?

15. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well budget to me might mean a different thing to you...

In the context of your £2 current woofer ;) I would imagine you are going to say your budget is about £100 max??? correct me if I am wrong though!

I really cant see that for less than £100 you can get a decent sub unless you go secondhand. You could probably get more bass but quality is going to suffer. At these cheaper prices your best bet is secondhand so it might be better to watch the sales forum closely and ask about a particular model when it comes up for sale.

Hope that helps

Tim

16. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You bought a sub for £2?! Maybe uncle eric can arrange a powerbuy on these things and we'll get them down to a quid a head. :D

Welcome to HWC (doh!), I mean AV Forums, mate. You and your bank balance are going to regret getting into this AV malarky I warn you. :)

I agree with snelly - it's almost impossible to find a decent sub under £100 unless you live in the States. Around the £250 mark is where it all start to happen in terms of quality, second hand subs. As he already mentioned - when you see specs list a "subwoofer output" on a receiver that tends to be a line-level feed, i.e. no way near powerful enough to drive a passive subwoofer.

MuFu.

17. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lolol!!

I didn't buy the sub, my sisters b/f did. Also, he bought it off a mate who didn't know what he was talkin about... I think he must have been stoned :D

Nah, my budget can stretch to a couple of hundred at some times... but not until christmas :)

Thanks for the replies tho. Am selling the sony amp to MuFu, so will be replacing it with something better.