Question Subwoofer Choices

JamesBall

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi new to avforums although been searching over similar threads and still haven't decided on a sub🤷‍♂️ so thought i'd ask.

I'm moving into a new house with a living room 4.5m x 3.5m but links to an open plan kitchen with a 2.9m depth.

Budget ideally around £800-1000 but may go a little higher if needed.

So my thoughts were between
XTZ 1x12
Arendal sub 1v
Arendal sub 1
Arendal sub 1.5
PSA S1512 or S1512DF (if they become available in the UK)

If anyone has similar sized rooms do the sealed options produce enough volume at lower frequencies?

I've got a similarity sized listening room which is open plan at the rear leading to two more Ros back to back (basement set up).
I've got a BK Monolith Plus.
Ported not sealed but doesn't struggle in the slightest with the fact there's no rear wall.
The only problem I have is ensuring items kept in other rooms in the open plan basement don't rattle on their shelves :rotfl:

Not sure if the PSA options may cost a bit more than you're hoping for as an S1512 would be £1475 according to what has been posted in the PSA owners thread.

For context, do you own a sub at the moment to compare to? Are movies your main priority?

Currently just got a small Focal cub 3 so looking at quite a big step up. I've had a look on PSA UK site at prices, i'm hoping for this to be a long term setup so would save a bit more if they're worth the extra.
I did consider a mono+ as they are local to me in Essex although I think I'd prefer the newer tech/drivers in the others. Still open to the option though.
Mainly tv/movies with occasional music use.

That website hasn't been update for ages I'm afraid. Ignore it.
These were on here when when I had a look?
Screenshot_20200302-190924.png

Sealed subs are generally easier to integrate into a setup. The arendals are great, but not tried the 1 myself.

^Ha! I stand corrected. The website hadn't been updated for over a year I think!

I was right on the price though :) .

I'd probably go for the sealed PSA if the lower frequencies are of concern (depending on what you consider lower frequencies of course) ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input...looks like a larger sealed is the way to go, think i'll save a bit longer and go for a PSA :)

Thanks for the input...looks like a larger sealed is the way to go, think i'll save a bit longer and go for a PSA :)
It's at least the third time it's been listed now so there may be a problem with it but for info. there is a PSA S1500 on eBay at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom