1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer choice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by smallman28, Apr 16, 2002.

1. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As part of my on going speaker upgrade I was looking to buy a new subwoofer.
    Given that the Mission M73 speakers I have go down to about 48hz I need a suitable sub that carries on down from there,it also cannot cost a great deal (£300ish) so the likes of some REL's might be out.
    Most of the cheaper ones I have looked at only go down to about 44Hz which hardly seems worth the extra 4Hz for the cost!
    Any suggestions anyone??

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    You can pick up a second hand REL Q100E for £300. I did from the classifieds here 3 weeks ago.

Goes down to 20Hz @ -3db.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. robh2002

robh2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I used to own a Paradigm PDR10 (about £150) from RS. It goes to 27Hz (at -3Db). As I remember it was quite a good sub, goes reasonably loud and will certainly add a bit of weight to your current speakers. It's now in service with a friend of mine and adds nicely to his set of Tannoy M3s.

I now own a Servo 15 (and a Storm III :) ). Both are above your stated price range, but if you're mainly into cinema, the Servo 15 is the one. Simply one of the best subs that ANY money can buy.

There are a few other subs out there at about £300, but I don't have any experience of them. If it is possible save a bit more money go for the Servo in a few months time - you'll get more bang for your buck. Actually, you sinply can't buy any more bang for you buck!

Hope this is of some help.

Rob.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Paradigm Servo-15 for me too.

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the Paradigm PS1000 from Richer sounds for £149.95 on a special price advertised in What Hifi, but this price offer runs out sometime in April, can't remember exact date, but just qoute it and see what they say. This sub is pretty good and even at £250 which is the normal Richer sounds price its still a bargin.

6. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the PS-1000's price normally at RS... and would this be a better option than the PDR-10?

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has I said in my post normally £250, but I've also seen them do it at £199. Yes its better than the PDR10 but its also a lot bigger physically. The offer price of £149.95 has now ended, it ended on the 15 April but it may still be possible to get it cause both the Stockport and Bolton stores didn't have it in stock for a month, so you could argue that it wasn't available during the offer.

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know the above offer is now on again at RS, you must say you saw the AD in What-HiFi June ED. Price £149.99 :)

9. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I like the look of this American Sub "ACI Titan"

Anything like it in UK ???

10. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although your main speakers go down to 47htz at this level they are tailing off and probably arn't giving out many decibels, so although some subs don't go really low a good one will still punch.

It's hard with subs becuase there seems to me to be no clear agreement on what actually is good base, there are some that swear by Rel's (the majority) but others who think they produce an 'inaccurate' sound.

i've just bought a Kef 20b for £200 (normally £350), just out of the box it didn't do much but i'm running it in at the moment and it's getting better all the time. But it is small which is what I wanted and there aren't many choices at that size.

It's difficult waiting for 2nd hand even though you can get some good bargains. Vibe have a new Alpha sub at £300 which has been getting some good review on this site however What hifi only gave it 2 stars - but it may still be worth reviewing.

In my opinion subs are the hardest thing to buy and be pleased with unless your funds are large.

11. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, but I don't think a subwoofer is worth the investment if it doesn't go down to at least 25Hz +-3db

Regards

12. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stewart C

Which sub are you talking about?

Just out of interest the PS-1000 goes down below 25 and still has good usuable base at that level.

13. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    base = bass

14. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Get the PDr10 from RS £120

Best for the money, great sub IMO

15. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't agree with stewart c on this one, if your main speakers only go down to 60hz or so you will gain a lot even with a su b that only goes down to about 30-35hz.

16. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers john87 for pointing out my spelling, I know how to spell bass, it was just a key slip:) Might have been better to contribute though!

17. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all relative mate. You will get alot more at 20Hz than 35 to 40Hz. You must look at the long term, why pay upto £300 on a subwoofer that doesn't exactly plum the depths when there are ones available for the same money that do. What will happen in 12 months time and I have done this with other things, "Gee I wish I had gone for that one etc !!)

Doesn't make sense to me.

You rolls your dice and takes your chance.

Regards

18. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    paradigm pdr 10 27Hz. -3db. £120.00. good stop gap and money back on sale, half a loaf is better than no toast:) p.s. beginners have to start somewhere as well-what did you stsrt with?:)

19. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did without until I could afford it and my first subwoofer was the exceptional M&K VX-100 Subwoofer for my small living room.

Goes down to 20Hz and it is the most exceptional piece of kit I have ever bought. Cost me £800 but I didn't want to buy cheap and then pay £800 upwards later for a sub I really wanted.

My dad bought a Yamaha (can't remember the model) for about £160 a few years ago. It was bl00dy awful even though it was rated to about 25Hz. It wan't the fact that it didn't go low, it did at 25Hz that's more than enough, but the build quality at this price was not good enough.

Only my thoughts and I had to do a $hit load of overtime to pay for my M&K subwoofer.:D :D

Ofcourse you are right though, you have to start somewhere and I wouldn't suggest for one minute £800 should be spent.

Regards

20. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funnily enough i put my overtime in to get two yamahas £160.00 each, two are reasonable in small rooms and i got 3years pleasure from that set up, i would just hate to think that someone starting out into a/v would miss out on the fun of upgrading etc. because they couldn' afford a 'decent' sub. so just didn't bother cheers. ken. but your points are valid:)

21. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've got a Paradigm PS1000 from Richer Sounds and have to say it's just 'ok'. A lot of them have transformer hum (like mine) which isn't really noticable and I generally find there is little 'slam' from the unit. It's good for depth and its surprising how much ambience it adds to a movie but don't expect much kick.

The only other sub I've heard is some Kef THX one and that really kicked, I was almost physically sick from the bass pumped out from explosions, gunshots etc ! I don't get that from mine.

So if you're going to spend £300 don't spend £150 instead ;-)

22. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed !!

23. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Even if your mission speakers go down to 48 Hz, just use a "small" setting in your amp and turn the crossover on the sub to its maximum setting (let the amplifier filter all bass below 80 or so Hz to the subwoofer). You will be more than happy with the results (make sure you get the placement of the sub right though and calibrate all levels with an SPL meter). Don't be fooled in thinking you are "wasting" bass from the M73. The system as a whole will have better imaging and tighter, more controlled bass, with improved definition. You will also be able to play loud more cleanly.

I know REL subwoofers are known to reach a clean 20 Hz. They also happen to be pretty good subs, as is the Pradigm Servo-15. You also might consider a BagEnd Infrasub-18 or 12, which has extention down to 8 Hz... I'm afraid they are a bit more expensive though than 300 UKP.