1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer channel and Sky

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by theo cupier, Jan 19, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Recently got my XLS200 and am enjoying it loads with CD music and DVD movies.

Sat down to wach some actual television this evening and couldn't help notice the almost complete lack of involvement from the subwoofer channel.

I was watching the football, hopped over to a bit of drama (The Bill, I think) and a few moments of R&B music on MTV and there was no noticeable involvement from the sub on any of this. Although there was a little activity, it was nowhere near as noticeable as in music, or movies even with the gain turned up way more than usual.

The Phono outputs of my Pace Sky box are connected to my E800. I have the coaxial cable connected from the E800 to my sub and the high level connector from the front l/r on my 2-channel stereo amp.

Is the lack of bass just the nature of TV audio, a factor of me providing the sub with simultaneous input down both high and low level connectors or something else?

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Can't speak for Sky or your electronics but there is plenty of bass on most ordinary TV programmes. Trains, busses and cars should all sound deeper with the sub going. We watch mostly FTA digital satellite TV and there is no shortage of bass from that source. Films, plays, detective series and any outside recorded material usually have good deep bass.

Nimby

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Have you set all your speakers to "Small"?

My experience is that there's not much bass in UK Sky broadcasts. Apart from the music Channel-U where they must have passed the signal through some crazy equaliser to get that much bass from it! :)

4. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a similar problem when watching from my NTL box using analog outputs into my amp. if i use pro logic or pro logic 2 i have no bass from the sub, but if i use dts neo 6 i have a small but acceptable amount of bass from the sub.

5. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Since it was my first time watching TV with the sub, I did a bit of playing around - mostly whilst watching the football - setting centre and/or fronts to large and then back to small (which is where I have them set usually and where I returned them after fiddling around). Have to say it didn't seem to make too much difference one way or the other.

I have the bass set to 'Both' ie to come from the centre/fronts as well as the sub - I tried changing this to 'bass only' but again, not much difference.

Part of the problem seemed to have been the weather conditions for the match - it was very windy - and the BBC's microphones. Motty was sounding very tinny and there wasn't much pitch noise (I sort of had this fantasy expectation of hearing a nice bassy thump every time someone wellied the ball, almost like the cannon shots in Master & Commander :blush: but there wasn't any sub action even when someone kicked one of the pitch-side microphones!)

The studio pundits and ITV did sound a lot less tinny than Motty but still not doing much on the sub.

Most surprising was when I caught the last 45 minutes of the movie Speed on BBC3 afterwards. I was very surprised to find that in the scene where the bus drives in to the plane and blows up, the sub didn't really wake up even there.

in fact the only 2 things which have really troubled the sub all evening watching TV are:
    1. some periods in the football when the crowd were stamping their feet in unison
    2. the BBC's 10 o'clock news theme tune which has some reasonable bass notes to it

I moved the frequency dial on the sub round to LFE and there is still noise coming out of the sub, but it just disappeared when I turned it down to nearer 80Hz which is my E800's crossover point.

A bit worried now that there's something awry. I'll have to put M&C on again tomorrow when the children are out to convince myself all is well!

Now that I'm getting used to hearing things with a good bass thump, the TV sounds awfully flat.

6. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    My sub is pretty well calibrated and awesome with dvds but Sky and TV generally, very little happens.
    Except as was previously stated, Channel U and a few other music channels.

7. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hia Theo,

I have the E800 and XLS200, and I think we have posted on the same threads before ;)

I find that with Sky, the bass is there, but not terribly consistant.

Most programs it is ok, and some of the sadverts are ridiculous on sky, sounding like a blockbuster movie at +20db over the programme... doh.

I think mine integrates well, and does generally underpin the sound from sky nicely.

Football can be heard with a thud, but it isn't exactly a sub thwack.

I have mine set all front speakers large, rear small and sub out to both, having the low level phone and speaker connections connected at the same time.

The LFE setting on the sub is imho rubbish with the E800, and it is set far too high up the audio range. My sub is crossed over at approx 60 Hz, as this is where the main speakers start to tail off.

Have you played with the phase control on the sub ?

erm... Not really anything else to say.... lol

Cheers,
    Adam.

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Sillysausage

Thanks for that. I've got the crossover at about 80Hz, which is where the E800 operates. My speakers go down to about 55Hz, allegedly, and I find I'm getting a decent balance there.

Still not watched much more TV yet - going through all my DVDs and reliving them in 5.1 :)

Phase control is one thing I've not played with yet. Not 100% sure I need to since it is working fine on everything else (DVD & CD). Saying that, I watched Star Wars Ep Iv - VI over the last few nights and found that the soundtrack on VI was a degree poorer than the other two - the centre channel was regularly muffled and there was a lot less going on with the sub channel.

I think I'll give it a go at some stage to see what happened.

By the way, do you find that both the high and low gain controls have an effect when watching movies, since you're using both connectors?

Also, what power amp do you use? Are you using dedicated 2-channel (integrated or pre & power) or 5 channel? I'm thinking of upgrading my front (2-channel) amp to a 2-channel pre-amp & then deciding between a new 2-channel or 5-channel power amp

Cheers

Theo

9. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes, the high and low levels took a bit of sorting out to get matched properly, but once set they work well. The high level speaker connection is mainly used for music through the main amp, as then the sub is driven without the need for the cd player to be routed through the E800.

Although it added some welly to movies too, as I have the main speakers set up as large and sub out to both. I was told this is the best way, as the added speaker connections to the sub make sure that it does not 'miss' any bass. If that makes sense lol

I am using a Marantz 7200 as the main amp, with the high level to the sub running off the speaker B output. I can switch it off if not needed, but ime I have not yet felt the need to - which I suppose demonstrates just how capable the XLS200 is :D

I am in the process of changing it all to an arcam AVR300, as I don't really like the 7200, depsite it's constant good reviews..

I also used a Alpha 6+ Amp before the PM7200, but that wasn't suited to my speakers too much (Tannoy R3)

Cheers,

Adam.

10. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have dug this thread out of the past as I am having the same problem as the original poster.
    My Pioneer 2011 does not seem to be sending a signal to the sub with Sky.
    Skybox is connected to amp with analogue phono lead. When I had my denon 3802 amp the problem was cured by checking that speakers were set to small on the amp, have done this but the sub stays silent, any ideas? :confused:
    The sub works fine with dvd/sacd input via coaxial from my denon 2900?

11. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    in stereo mode i get bass, in pro logic i rarely get any bass......if i use DTS Neo6 Music then i get some bass because that plays it in stereo over the stereo speakers AND pans some stuff to the centre/rears.....

thats from a Sky Pace PVR3......not as good as i'd like but its enough.....not many programs i watch im worried about having any bass tbh.....only films or suchlike..

13. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well the problem is solved and the bass is back. But I don't know how or why?
    After delving in the spaghetti last night I turned the amp and sub on today and its all back to normal. I re-ran the auto setup the other day after moving speakers, maybe that changed something?
    It's an old Pace box, must be donkeys years old. I cancelled Sky back in the Summer but just rejoined again as I was missing the music channels too much.
    Anyway, happy bunny again now :thumbsup:

14. Overlord69

Overlord69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I use a Panasonic digi-box as well and there's always plenty of bass.

15. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I recorded The Hulk on Sky plus the other night which was broadcast in DD.
    It was room shaking in the scenes about 90 odd minutes in.
    I've not watched the rest of the movie but Thunder had demo-ed this scene when he let me check out his SVS.

16. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Hello. Your friendly original poster here!

After a good few months of living with my XLS I can say with a degree of comfort that Sky doesn't appear to be any less capable of delivering LFE than DVD movies.

I don't have any of the premium channels for movies etc, but in a typical DVD movie (ie not a 'showcase' film, like WOTW, Incredibles etc) I get as much action from the subwoofer as from a TV programme.

The trick is, imho, at first at least, to set your expectations reasonably and try to match them to reality of what you're listening to. Every episode of The Bill (or whatever) will not have gone to the same trouble in building a sound field as WOTW or Star Wars.