Question Subwoofer cabling

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Zappa57, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Zappa57

Zappa57
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi from a Newbie,
    I've been hitting the online second hand market, buying a (hopefully) decent system.
    Three of these components now have to work together, this question is about the best way to do that, in other peoples opinion.
    My amp is a NAD C372, which has 2 sets of speaker terminals (A & B) and variable pre-amp and main amp possibilities. Currently the plug in connectors link Pre-Amp 1 to the main, Pre-Amp 2 (which has a 'volume' control) is unused. I've bi wired a pair of KEF Q90's to the speaker terminals.
    All good.
    I've now purchased a KEF PSW 2010 subwoofer, which will have to be connected in when it arrives.

The amp has no sub out, which leaves me with two choices;
    1. Connect the Pre-amp 2 to the input of the sub, then using the pre-amp 'volume' control and the controls on the back of the sub, try and get it to sound good.
    2. Connect the Pre-amp 1 to the sub and then connect the 'high pass' output from the sub back to the main amp on the C372.

Option 2 sounds like the easiest, let the sub manage the crossover, however that then leave the 'quality of sound' in the hand of the subs onboard amp.
    Option 1 sounds like a lot of fiddling around.

Opinions? Ideas?
    Whilst I do get how stuff works, this is new territory for me, all help gratefully received.
    Below is a graphic of the rear connections of both.

upload_2018-6-14_15-13-57.png

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,402
    I think option 2 may be best even though you are adding another bit of electronics into the signal path. The Q90’s bottom out at 57hz at -3db so for floor standers they do not go that low, at sub cut in setting around 65-70hz would probably be a good starting point, you still need to adjust the sub volume to fit in with the Q90’s but once set the nad will control the volume of the main and sub speakers.

Finally, have a go and let your ears decide on how best to set it up.

3. Zappa57

Zappa57
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ugg10, appreciate that.
    Whilst I'm not keen as you say to add more stuff into the path, letting the sub amp deal with it is most likely going to be the way to go. At least the RCA's will be relatively short. I always use good quality cables and keep them as short as possible, these will be 1.5m I'm guessing.
    Your comments on the speakers are interesting, yes they lack bottom end 'woomf', hence the seek and purchase of the sub. However they are sensational for a 27 year old speaker, clarity, detail.

Any other comments advice most welcome.

4. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    If I was you I'd look at moving the Kef PSW-2010 as this along with the PSW-2000 was a very problematic Sub with it main board always blowing fuse thus killing itself after a time. Then I'd start looking for a subwoofer with a high level neutrik input. This way, you can piggy back from the amp's speaker terminations via an unbalanced connection.

As it seem's your using a music solution, look for a downwards firing woofer. An old Rel Stampede, or something similar would work well with those Q90's

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,402
    My biggest regret was selling a pair of Kef Reference 104/2, if the Q90's have the "Kef Sound" then the mids will be really clear and the treble very smooth but may lack a bit of bottom end extension but is pretty punchy which in my opinion is a good trade-off.

I am going through a similar dilemma myself - having two subs and main speaker that, like yours, drop out around 60Hz at -3db I have two choices -

Stereo preamp with line level to power amps for mains (full range) plus stereo subs, separate L and R signals (using subs high filter) = potential boost/dip around the 60-70hz but have stereo subs
    or
    AV processor with output to power amps into mains and dual mono subs using the AVP to control a true crossover (around 80hz) = better integration between main and sub but without stereo subs but as low frequencies are effectively non directional this seems to be the better option. The AVP also has a built in DAC as a bonus.

Good luck experimenting with your setup.