1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by NinjaKi11a, Sep 11, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to add an XLS200 to my system and have no idea how to attach it to my amp. I'm assuming the freebie cables need to be replaced. What do I look for in a decent sub cable and how much do they cost? It will need to be shielded as I'm going to run it with a couple of power cables. Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've just upgraded to a Mark Grant sub cable (available in the power buys section) and its made noticable improvements over my Monster sub cable that cost about the same.

I would try to steer clear of running your sub cable next to the power cable without very good shielding on top of what comes in the sub cable, mains can intefere something cronic, particularly at 50Hz.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most subs don't come with any low level cables so make sure that you buy in good time as there's nothing worse that having a new toy that you can't play with.

I would agree with Brian that you won't go wrong with a cable from Mark Grant who's cables were described by one expert as "the Rolls Royce of cables at beer money prices" and I would also agree that you should try and keep it away from power cables as far as possible to avoid the dreaded subwoofer hum

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gents, I'll look into these.

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've just ordered a couple of cables from here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Unless I am mistaken (feel free to correct me guys), the cables are very similar, same cable and plugs for the subwoofer cable, to the Mark Grant ones but cheaper.

e.g. 3 or 4m cable from Mark £33 or £37
    12 feet (3.75m) from Bluejeans $30.75 ($25 + $5.75 delivery) = £17.17 at current exchange rate.

If you go over £18 you risk a customs charge. Payment is by Paypal only.

Delivery is estimated at 4-6 weeks (the one guy over here who has ordered from them suggests it can be as little as a week however, see my thread linked below), I'm sure Mark would have them with you in a matter of days.

I started a thread about them and intend to give feedback once my cables arrive.