1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by CharlieNash, Dec 20, 2002.

1. CharlieNash

CharlieNash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A subwoofer uses normal RCA cables correct? So an RCA audio/video/digital coax cable is what you want?

I've seen them package "subwoofer" cables at the store, and just want to know this is the same thing.

Thanks

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few manufacturers that make (supposedly) dedicated subwoofer cables; both QED and Vibe have brought them to market very specifically.

However, they are basically just regular interconnects. As I use Ecosse Interconnects between my kit, I thought I'd carry it through to the sub cable. Though I ordered 4m of Conductor cable from Ecosse (and it's identical to The Conductor interconnects) they actually stuck a sticker on the front of the normal packaging saying 'subwoofer cable' - like I'd be wanting to use a single, 4m run for much else :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    One other manufacturer providing dedicated sub cables is obviously REL for their high level connections via the Speakon connector.
    There is an "upgrade" in the form of Kimber cable from Russ Andrews(www.russandrews.com) if you feel the original isn't up to the job.

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Subwoofer Interconnects tend to have increased shielding due to their length I thought, at least that's what IXOS say about their sub specific cables.

Monster cable is THX certified as a sub cable, not cheap though, amazon.com do them for $60 in the length I wanted :eek:

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think in IXOS's case it's being used as a selling point,not necessarily one that makes any difference....all of my cables,sub low level input incuded are unshielded.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the whole cable discussion is a hotly contended one, I think most people agree that some form of shielding is preferable.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interesting question that one,as you say.....many of the best cables(from an objective as well as subjective viewpoint) are unshielded,e.g.Kimber and XLO,but another very important pont is cable geometry,with the fibres crossing as in the above cables,which can provide a large amount of interference rejection.

Another aside to this is the case of Chord shielded Vs unshielded interconnects.....I found,as did a number of others,that the unshielded were much better sonically.

In any case, I use XLO digital connects,and a mixture of Kimber and XLO analogues,with Kimber speaker and power cords.....no hum,no hash.

certainly noise rejection is crucial,but the methods used to ensure it do vary widely between manufacturers.

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you are right, some makers do use the 'weave' technique to reduce RFI and other unwanted problems.

I guess where hi fi is concerned you can often keep cables apart and may in some cases only run a cable from CD to amp then to power amps. However, I do think shielding is more important in AV, where you can easily have 5 or 6 power cables running in very close proximity to potentially 10s of audio and picture cables.

I use Russ Andrews power cables and do find they provide benefits. Not massive amounts but there are improvements to be had. I'm now thinking about getting an IsoTek CleanLine to power my AV set up, have you ever seen/heard one working?

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    juboy....hi...excellent point re:hifi cabling as my previous system prior to selling a load of stuff to finance the Av system was a Linn Keltik active speaker system with 3 Krell power amps and miles of cable!...that was what got me onto Kimber in the first place,to clean up the mains feed to all that!

I'm usually very careful in routing mains away from signals,and digital away from analogue but found the only problem I had when changing systems was a hum loop and DC offset which kept switching the Krells off when using the CD player...turned out to be a dirty switchmode power supply for the Perpetual Technologies upsampler I use,which,when rectified,removed all the trouble.

As to the Isotek,as soon as i can get hold of one to try,I let you know(or perhaps you can tell me,if you get one first!).

10. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Hi Juboy&Alex
    I recently purchased an Isotek Cleanline, and while there is a certain amount of scepticism about these products from a lot of people, I'm suitably impressed. The whole noise floor of my system has lowered and it sounds a lot cleaner all round. Definitely worth an audition at the very least...

Will

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Will...thanks for that post...as soon as I can find one to try,I will...the mains supply where I live is awful...any help will be worthwhile!