Subwoofer cable.

Jeff

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Someone much more knowledgeablethan me once told me that the subwoofer cable didn't make that much difference and that the cable that came with the sub would be fine. Recently I repositioned the sub and the existing cable wasn't quite long enough to run it along the wall (untidy). So yesterday I fitted a new £40 6M QED sub cable, I won't go into the much greater sound quality claims, however at the very least the output level of the sub was much higher with the new cable. My initial conclusion is that WOW the cable DOES matter, what do you think?

I think that the room acoustics probably have more to do with the output level than the change of cable.

To prove me wrong, how about moving it back to the old position and trying each cable. Let us know what you think:)

I moved the sub about 2 weeks ago, the old cable was long enough to go across the floor but not along the wall. So the only thing that changed was the cable. :confused:

Funnily enough, I tried a different cable on my sub a couple of months ago. I buried a standard 10 metre phono cable into my cinema room when I built it,thinking it would be OK for sub duties.(didn't know any better at the time)

I decided to try the cable I had recieved with my, now returned Servo 15, which probably isn't the best quality, and the difference was very noticeable. Needless to say, I have a cable now laying around the side of my HC.

On top of that, I've decided to re position my equipment stack, so some renovation work is needed anyway.

Should have called in the proffesionals :(

Rob.

I'm stuck with an old Rel... I say stuck with but it is great, although the cable is just tin plated copper, and not many strands...

anyone know where i can get a decent XLR - Phono cable for reasonable money? Or just decent XLR cable?

Interesting....

...maybe it was the interconnects that made the audible difference?

Funnily enough I think i've just ordered the same cable (and length) for my SVS! Unfortunatley I won't be able to compare as it didn't come with 'bog standard cable' in the first place..

Hi Fi Junkies do the 9m Ixos 1081 sub cable for a very reasonable £17 inc delivery. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and am very happy with it. However, it's my first time connecting the sub at line level (using the Neutrik speaker level cable for the past 3 years) so I can't comment on the performance of different cables...

HiFiBlitz do the IXOS 1081 in 3mt,5mt and 9mt all for the same price £9.99 inc. del.Must be a mistake but i'm going to order one before they realise.

Black Rhodium do some special cables for subs. can't remember what they're called but they were about £25. saw/heard them t the hifi show in manchester airport last week, good stuff at reasonable prices - apart from their top of the line cable which is £1200:eek:

"The cable is an IXOS 1081-500 which is a 5 metre single phono to single phono cable. We then add the IXOS 1009-YF which takes one end and turns the single phono plug into a double, that then connects into your subwoofer (The reason is most AV amps have a single subwoofer output, but most subs have twin inputs. If you feed them both you'll get better bass)."

Groovy, or nonsense????

Just ordered a 9m IXOS cable for HiFiBitz. Great price!!!

Hopefully I will notice an improvement.

And the extra length will enable me to play around with the position a bit more.

HiFiBlitz have changed the price's for the IXOS 1081 Sub cable 3mt £9.99,5mt £14.95 and 9mt £19.95.
I ordered a 9mt for the old price of £9.99(out of stock).Hope they don't charge me the new price:(

I'm having a Single length of Ecosse composer custom made by Ecosse for Sub duties. At £21 per two meters it's pricey but i'm hoping it will be worth it. It has to be beter than the crappy Cambridge Audio Atalantic thing I'm using at the moment.

Looks like HiFiBitz are going to honour the £9.99 price, as my cable has now been shipped.

Thanks for that Old Stoneface.

Originally posted by Oli
anyone know where i can get a decent XLR - Phono cable for reasonable money? Or just decent XLR cable?

I bought mine from Lektropaks but beware, REL don't use standard XLR wiring for their subs so I had to take mine down to the local TV repairman who resoldered it the REL way for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom