1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by skap7309, Aug 7, 2005.

1. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My subwoofer has a left and right channel input and im currently using a budget 1 x phono to 2 x phono lead to power it. I the quest for 'cleaner' bass i would like to buy a monster or similar quality lead to run it but they all seem to have one connector on each end.
    Could i just fit it normally into either the left or right channel on the sub or does the cable fuse the two channels together at the amp end? Hope this makes sense! thanks.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Are you connecting using the subwoofer out from an AV amp or the L&R preout terminals?

3. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    apologies, its a dedicated sub terminal, my thoughts are that the 1-2 phono leads seperate at the amp end, splitting into left and right channels, where as a sub cable just fuses this together. Is this right?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think you've got it wrong I'm afraid. A dedicated sub terminal will generally only output a mono signal - splitting it into a pair just means that there is the same signal in both conductors. You'll only have a stereo signal if you use the stereo preouts from your amplifier.

Just using the LFE socket on your amp and the left socket on your sub should be just fine if I understand what you're trying to do correctly. :)

5. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think what skap's question means is will there be any difference between a single phono lead, and his current one phono at the amp -> 2 phono at the sub.

The answer is of course, maybe. Some people use the splitters to make sure the sub turns it self on automatically, as some subs auto turn on might not be sensitive enough to switch on with input into one of the two inputs. If your sub is ok, then don't worry.

Sound is the same whether the phono is plugged into the left or right. Doens't matter.

6. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you aren't running the sub at max volume, you can probably get away with one input. The sub will mix left and right together, so if you just connect one, you'll get (e.g.) signal + nothing = signal. At the moment you're getting signal+ signal = 2×signal. If you can double the volume, and if your sub is silent with nothing connected, you'll be fine.

Hint: one of the popular brands that you may or may not have referred to are overpriced and overhyped. All you're looking for is a decent construction: stout connectors and thick, well-shielded cable. I make my own using pro-audio connectors and cables in situations like this.

7. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the feedback, but just to clarify....
    im aware that its a mono output but when i unplugged one of the leads at the sub obviously the volume halfed but the sound was almost 'muggy'. I will buy a lead all the same as im sure, and from what you are saying, the sub will run fine. thanks again!

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Try browsing for <monster cables suing> before considering the purchase of any of their products.

I have never used their products so cannot comment on quality, value for money or performance.

Nimby

9. Dolbyz

Dolbyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ... this makes sense now.

I've take the RCA from 'sub out' on the amplifier, to only the left on the amplifier - I haven't split the signal. I see everyone is saying I'll get DOUBLE the power ... am I reading it right? Maye there'll only be a slight improvement?
    Should I buy a splitter?

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The good news is that if your split the cable to feed both sub input sockets you gain 3dB. :smashin:

The bad news is that you then have to turn down the sub gain (or volume control) to match your main speakers again. :thumbsdow

So: Net gain from splitting = zero. :rolleyes:

Unless! You have a sleepy "auto-on" circuit which needs a little more oomph to switch the sub on properly. :)

Nimby