1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Graham.hassall, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Graham.hassall

Graham.hassall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any recommendations. I need 10m to go between a Rotel 1055 AV amp and Meridian M1500 sub.

I am currently considering qed qontour and liberty cable with connections added (made up by hi fi shop) but I am open to suggestions.

thanks for any guidance

Graham

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd recommend making a cable yourself. As long as you can find the hot end of a soldering iron it's very easy and you could make an excellent 10m lead for under £15.

Otherwise there are plenty of options, Mark Grant makes and sells some very good cables via the forum power-buys which you should definitely consider. :)

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
  4. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eviljohn2 - Are there any good sites for specifically making a sub cable. I have been to the TNT, John Risch etc. However, they all discuss the CAT5/6 projects - something I have successfully completed). Alternatively, a brief description of the process i.e. cable type and wiring/soldering configuration etc. would be gratefully received.

I also have a 10m of CT100 lying around - which has been recommended in a few places, due to its shielding and a sold core. Alternatively, I also have a 15m length of 'Professional Low Noise' able - which is a twin core, wrapped in some kind of thin 'fabric' type material and the outer core is a 3mm thick. It is the kind - used in outdoor rigs and seems indestructible!

Your recommendations, please.

Thanks

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    johnnycab

For a DIY cable, mylo has an excellent thread here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93524
    which should explain everything you need to know with some helpful pictures too. A subwoofer cable is just a very long interconnect so construction methods will be the same.

For cable type you have free reign. The CT100 that you have would be an excellent choice to start with, it has exactly the properties required from a sub cable although by it's solid core nature can be a bit stiff to work with compared to a stranded core.

6. Graham.hassall

Graham.hassall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I may make my own :)