Subwoofer cable?

iaria

Banned
Hi people
I have moved my subwoofer and I need alonger run of cable.
Now I have aquestion, What is the difference between a subwoofer cable and speaker cable with phono plugs at the end??
Surely a sub is a speaker!!!
Thank you in advance
Gerry

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
A subwoofer cable is usually required to supply a signal over fairly long lengths with very little lengths and as such tend to be of a fices 75 ohm impedance, much like digital interconnects.

iaria

Banned
Hi Crustyloafer, I need aprox. 5 meters of cable, as I already have about 10 meters of speaker cable left over I thought it might be just the same as connecting a speaker to the other side of the room......

Ian J

Banned
Although a subwoofer is effectively a speaker, you are actually making the connection to the amplifier within the unit and not directly to the speaker as you would with normal speakers.

D

dantheman

Subwoofer interconnects are designed for long runs with minimal loss of audio quality. These interconnects are shielded from interference so give a much better sound than a normal interconnect. For av use you will need a line level connection and not speaker wire so use a dedicated interconnect. Good quality interconnects are available from QED for about £30

iaria

Banned
Thank you to all of you for the info.
I just thought it would have been o.k. with a speaker wire.
Thank goodness for this forum. Grazie, Thank you

Gerry

Vodder

Banned
or Mark Grant in the AV Power Forums....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom