subwoofer cable for active amp

charlie0440

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently have a old amp, Sony-STR-DG820 and some crap speakers. I am having a demo next week of the monitor audio R90HD10 surround sound, which I am expecting to buy after the demo :). I will upgrade my amp at a later date.

My question is:

1) I believe the amp requires a active sub, Is this a standard RCA cable?

2) I spoke to the guy in seven oaks (the shop) asking what cable I required and he said they make them in shop at £15per meter. I require 2m at most. I don't mind spending that much money on a cable but only if its worth it. I was wondering will I hear any difference from a £30 compared to say this £1.99 cable Pure HQ OFC Shielded Subwoofer Cable Gold 2m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics. £30 would probably by in my budget but hadn't planned on spending that much on one cable.

3) What do people recommend I buy?

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I currently have a old amp, Sony-STR-DG820 and some crap speakers. I am having a demo next week of the monitor audio R90HD10 surround sound, which I am expecting to buy after the demo :). I will upgrade my amp at a later date.

My question is:

1) I believe the amp requires a active sub, Is this a standard RCA cable?

2) I spoke to the guy in seven oaks (the shop) asking what cable I required and he said they make them in shop at £15per meter. I require 2m at most. I don't mind spending that much money on a cable but only if its worth it. I was wondering will I hear any difference from a £30 compared to say this £1.99 cable Pure HQ OFC Shielded Subwoofer Cable Gold 2m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics. £30 would probably by in my budget but hadn't planned on spending that much on one cable.

3) What do people recommend I buy?

Thanks
1, Yes, you'll need an active sub and yes it's a standard single RCA cable :smashin:
2, On a short cable I doubt there would be any audible difference, especially with a subwoofer.
3, Cable or subwoofer?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Was this cable ok ?

sub sounds awesome! Don't have another cable to compare it to, but as @Happy Rich said on such a short run I can't imagine a difference.

The higher pitched the sound and the longer the cable run, the more the cable matters.

With my sub, I can't tell the difference between a £40 2m cable my friend uses and the £4 3m one I picked up in a supermarket. That's £20/metre for his, vs £1.30/metre for mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom