Question Subwoofer 'Breaking in' ?

Thank you for all you interesting comments (Especially the ones based on electrical and material science).

What I seem to get from it all is that speakers/subs will work fine straight out of the box, and the can be driven as little or as much as you like from the off. After a period of time the sound might improve.

Last edited:
Yup, more time enjoying and less time worrying would be my advice. However, do pay attention to your RCA leads, I bought some inexpensive Fisual ones for my dual SVS PB-3000s and the receipt actually advised me to allow a couple of weeks for the leads to bed in and come alive!!!! This may not be a worldwide phenomenon, I suspect it is just down to our lazy British electrons. :D:rotfl:

Some degree of speaker driver 'burn in' is a genuine thing, but the idea this might produce a 10 dB change in output is far fetched to put it mildly!

Some degree of speaker driver 'burn in' is a genuine thing, but the idea this might produce a 10 dB change in output is far fetched to put it mildly!

Agreed - as long as you're sensible and don't run in new speakers at above reference volume then don't worry about it.
The only piece of electrical equipment I've ever known to increase 10 decibels over time is the wife's washing machine which seems to get exponentially louder and currently sounds like someone is digging up the kitchen floor with a Jack hammer.

Agreed - as long as you're sensible and don't run in new speakers at above reference volume then don't worry about it.
The only piece of electrical equipment I've ever known to increase 10 decibels over time is the wife's washing machine which seems to get exponentially louder and currently sounds like someone is digging up the kitchen floor with a Jack hammer.

It is true, some people complain about the loudness of the A/V systems, but have you been a modern kitchen lately. Fridge freezer buzzing, washing machine banging about and trying to shake itself to pieces, dish washer sloshing about, the steam iron hissing away. I go to the front room to get some quiet time ..

It is true, some people complain about the loudness of the A/V systems, but have you been a modern kitchen lately. Fridge freezer buzzing, washing machine banging about and trying to shake itself to pieces, dish washer sloshing about, the steam iron hissing away. I go to the front room to get some quiet time ..

I only ever venture into the kitchen to get a beer from the fridge my friend.
Whatever other white goods lurk in there are a mystery to me.

Well I received my new Bk P12-300SB-PR today and I have to say it took a good hour at least to sound like it was full working .. very Low frequencies played well, but it was higher frequencies that took awhile to be heard . Hopefully will improve more and more over a few hours

Well I received my new Bk P12-300SB-PR today and I have to say it took a good hour at least to sound like it was full working .. very Low frequencies played well, but it was higher frequencies that took awhile to be heard . Hopefully will improve more and more over a few hours

Yep, just enjoy it mate. Knowing full well it can only get better especially after you've tweaked its response, location, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom