1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Boom?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Goatface, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone help with this,

My set-up is >>

Pioneer VSX-D1011 reciever
    Mission 74i front, 72i rear, M7C2 Center & MS10 Subwoofer.

My MS10 subwoofer has recently been sent back to Leading Edge and Mission because all the front end components fried? Not sure why as I havent really put it through its paces, although it never gets switched off physically.

My question is, for some reason when I power off my Amp or switch between inputs I get a load boom from the Subwoofer. None of my mates setup's do this. Is this possibly a fault with the Subwoofer and hence why it finally blew or is it likely to be the amp or even something I done wrong? Its very load when it does it. I'm a newbie, but would like to think I started with a fairly good system. I read a few different reviews which seemed to favour mission speakers with Pioneer amps. They apparently compliment each other well?

Any idea's???

Thanks in advance (",)

ps - only had the Sub for 3 months before it blew, should get it back next week?

2. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I just realised I should of poested this in the Speakers and Subwoofers forum. Perhaps Admin might move it for me?

DOH !

3. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Just read in the other forum that I might of had blown muting capacitors? Lets hope thier amongst what mission have replaced at the front end?

4. Goatface

Goatface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, Got my SW back now. Still booms when switching sources, powering of AMP etc... Is it because its active. For example if I stop a DVD the active LED on the Sub stays green for about 3 mins before going red. If I wait till its red before switching sources its ok. Is there anything I can do to get around this apart from waiting of turning SW volume down first everytime.

5. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Goatface
    It sounds very much like the muting capacitors have blown on the amp,the reason it doesent bang when the led is on red is because its turned off(the sub).
    I dont think it is expensive to get your amp repaired,If you do refrain from pulling the subs phono out when powered up as its that the causes the damage to the capacitors.
    Cheers Gonzo.

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson:
    Muting transistors blown.

Unlikely to be capacitors

Have you ever connected the sub to the receiver when the receiver and/or sub were on?

If your subs "bangs" coincide with a function on the amp......it must be the amp @ fault. (Normally caused by the above)...

7. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a loud bump seems pretty normal for the sub.
    You'll hear that sound if you started powering up the amp &/or TV before the sub . That is a power surge due to sub.

Try powering up first your amp, DVD and TV before the sub.
    See the difference.....

Also take note. Powering the sub alone will generate sounds like bbuufff (quite normal really)