1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SubWoofer behind closed door?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by CatManDo, Nov 19, 2004.

1. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I am shortly redoing our living room and am thinking about putting the sub (gale cheapo, shortly to be replaced by Kef 2005.2) in the understairs cupboard out of view and away from children!

I understand that subs are none-directional but will putting it behind a closed door seriously degrade its performance?

Comments welcome

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    It's likely to go all boomy and muffled on you, depending on a bit more exactitude than you've provided in the question though. If you must place it in there, can you put a grille in the door (or even some speaker cloth ?), or a grille in the wall next to the door ?. The key thing is that subs like to 'breathe'. Another approach would be possible if you've got access to under the floor in that room: with some appropriate sawing of floorboards, you can have a grille under the carpet (if present ?) with the sub firing through it and attached - upside down - to the joists. Out of sight and mind but it would shake the floor to good effect and performance wouldn't be nearly as dire as I imagine it would be in that cupboard.

HTH,
    Mike.

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    We had a discusson a little while ago on this very subject. Though the OP wanted to use a central cupboard under the telly last time. :rolleyes:

I believe that placing a subwoofer in an enclosed sapce would be hopeless.
    Unless you support it so that the driver and port (if any) are exposed to the room through adequately sized holes in the cupboard door or wall. Which means much larger holes than the driver and larger than the port. Or the holes will modify the subwoofer's behaviour. This assumes that both port and driver are on the same surface on the subwoofer enclosure. Not always true. :blush:

If the idea of walling up the subwoofer alive is as the result of pressures from a partner. Then I can only recommend self-assertion classes at the local technical college. Or just buy the largest subwoofer you can afford and feign insanity. It worked for me. :zonked:

Nimby

4. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    thanks for your advice guys, I will reconsider and enrol in those assertion classes!!!