1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer AV Amp settings ...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jonathan West, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... my CHT-10 arrives mid next week (thanks uncle eric:p ), so I have read my AV amp manual to prepare my brain for this ...

I have 3 settings choices to make (altho 2/3 are kind of linked together).

1) Crossover frequency. My speakers rated low frequency are main l/r at 40Hz, centre at 85Hz, surrounds at 100Hz (and as those are KEF figures I believe them!). So should I use a xover freq. of 80, 100 or 120Hz?

2) Main l/r speaker settings: Large or Small (as they go down below whatever xover I set is Large worth trying)?

3) Subwoofer setting: "LFE" only or "LFE+Main" (LFE sends out the LFE channel to subwoofer only, plus it gets frequencies below xover for speakers set to small; LEF+Main does the same but then sends LFE channel to the main speakers as well). This setting only matters if I use Large for (2).

I won't take any replies as gospel:eek: and I will of course be experimenting anyway:rotfl: but just wish to seek views of those who have them ...

Oh ... and also, how have others set up the CHT10?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I let my denon control my crossover (set at 80) with my fronts set to large. I set the sub to LFE+ Main. I think it's down to personal taste though. Give all combinations a try and leave it set at your fav setting. Look in the speakers and subs section there is a poll on just what your asking. the fav being All speakers set to small - xover 80Hz or below.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I have all speakers set to small
    crossover on receiver at 80hz
    crossover on CHT-10 set to bypass
    LFE + Main to sub

Phase and volume on CHT-10 depend on your room.

Mark.

4. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As a starting point, set all speakers to small, x-over at 100Hz, and set the CHT-10 x-over to "Out".

Try it, if you don't like it play around with the settings.