1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer at the back of the room?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by PC_112, Jun 6, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

In home cinema installations the sub is usually placed on the front right or left corner. This arrangement will not be very convenient for me. Would it be ok if I place it in the back corner next to the couch?

The sub is the one that came with the KEF2005.2 and the receiver (if it matters) is the Yamaha RX-V657

2. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it should be fine as low frequencies are non directional to humans, if you can tell where the sound is coming from it means the sub is either too loud or the crossover is too high (and so directional waves are being produced.) this may be a problem as you are using a sub/sat config and therefore the crossover will be quite high, the only way to tell is try it, but i would say it will be fine.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I don't agree with low frequency sounds being non-directional. This has been brought up before and appears to be an uncleared myth for some reason.

A good setup sub with the right crossover and correct volume can also be localized. The position of the sub is very important when it comes to integration and in room response. I have had subwoofers in the past which have integrated less easily where positioning has been a problem. I have also tried subwoofers at the back of my room and the sound became too muddy.

The best thing to do is try it and let your ears decide. Many people are happy with their rear placed subs.

4. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    My DD15 is at the back of the room and I must be lucky as when you listen to music or home cinema rumbles it seems to come sweetly from the front soundstage.

5. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm buying a SVS sub and sent them a layout of my room, thumbnail attached.

If you look at the thumbnail i placed coloured circles where i can place my sub. Hopefully this can help you with your placement issue.

they recommended the placement in this order

Black
    Red
    Green (right in the corner)
    Yellow

PS the orange was me thinking i'd sit it across my lap :) no i was using this to point out my seating position.

Regards
    Paddy

Attached Files:

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I agree, even with balenced SPL setup and very low crossovers localisation can be found due to air pressure effects like clothing flap, cabanet vibrations, unwanted upperbass harmonics, listening room resonances/rattles, reflections/frequnecy peaks, timing and phase integration.

From a FR (frequency response) point of view it seems more so at around 50hz+ but due to the reasons above lower frequnecys can still cause lots of location problems.

It is something you have to try and see if you can live with it.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    When i had my svs pb12-ultra2 the only place it could go was the back of the room,After carefully setting it up it intergrated very well with music but not movies at very loud volumes you could tell where the bass came from which i hated.So to cut a long story short i ended up with a pc-ultra which is now behind my tv the bass response is terrific in this position very deep and controlled so for me in my room at the front is best.What you need to do is when you get the sub just try it in different positions till you find one that sounds and looks the best(it is hard though with a 190lb sub) So yellow on your graph is what works best in my room the black dot is where the ultra-2 didnt work which contradicts the choices on the graph.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    As long as the back of the room is acoustically a good place for the sub then it shouldn't be an issue. Phase control is important so if the sub only has a 0 -180 switch it might be a problem.

9. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your replies.
    I guess that the sub of the Eggs might be supposed to go to a bit higher frequencies to help the sats with the lower mid(or maybe I am just talking rubbish ;) ) So I am afraid I will be able to hear things coming from it if placed in the wrong place.

Also I guess the sub that comes with the Eggs only has 0 - 180 switch. What is that switch supposed to do?

However the guy that is going to install it for me suggested to put it in the back because there is corner there and the sound would be better. He also said that the sub sound is non directional and therefore it is ok to place it in the back.

I am attaching an image with the part of my apartment that is relevant (walls with black). The room is about 3m x 3m but one side is completely open without wall or door.

Were do you think is best to place the sub, at position 1 or 2???

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Well if it was me i would most definitely choose no1.
    Cheers Gonzo.

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Number 1 for me without a doubt.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What is the open side opening into ? If it is opening into a much larger room you may have problems pressurising the room if the sub is sited at position 1 as it will be trying to pressure load both rooms. The problem won't go away if it is at position 2 but it could make it easier.

Rather than decide in advance why not try it in both positions and let your ears be the judge ?

13. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also with the sofa between you and the sub i don't think you will have a problem with localization, my opinion.