Subwoofer and earfullness part 2

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
So I'm packing a 4 driver hoverboss and 2x monolith 15s.
I experienced some right sided ear fullness.

Now I forgot to mention last time the LEFT side of my room is currently open.. aka I don't have a door entering the cinema room (awaiting builder/carpenter to put one in for months when he's free). So I'm now theorising this is the issue.

In the interim period due to the ear fullness issue I have:
1. Went to my GP
2. Got referred to ENT
3. Had hearing test done
4. Had pressures in ear taken
5. Had 2x ear exams
6. Had an MRI internal auditory canal

I also had a 1 month break from using the gear cos I got bored of it (back to it now..)

So everything has come back fine with no damage to my ears too despite me listening at reference. This fullness however does come still occur. My ENT consultant is obviously not too bothered about the science behind it as he isn't into home theatre/owns a subwoofer but said its like eustachian tube dysfunction with no sinsiter underlying cause. Thats fine.

For us HT geeks.. could it be that the room opening is whats causing an unequal bass/pressurisation and therefore thats why my ear is developing a mild fullness after very bassy content?

I've recalibrated my subs and did notice a few pesky peaks. Recalibrateed with HB now and running at reference ( I was running +6/+8/10DB house curves before but now I have the HB, I don't really need that much more tactility).

Any thoughts on this?

Dobbyisfree

I have some issues with Eustachian tubes too. This stuff helps:

• Airwaves chewing gum.
  • Keeping hydrated.
  • Hot bath, go right under water and turn head left and right until ears fill. Then keep ears under for ages. The hot water sits against the ear drum and warms the 5h1te the other side of it.

Mine started a few months after stopping smoking, so I believe it is linked to vaping. But I'm not stopping that because I like it. And, using menthol in the mixture does the opposite and helps clear them.

And majority of the time it's fine using the above guidelines.

I have spotted one correlation to sound. I'm no biologist, so can't explain why this is, as I don't get why sounds could affect the canal on the other (inner) side of the eardrums.

My handsfree for work calls sits on the outer ear and is mono. I have to swap it every now again (esp. if I have lots of meetings) as it causes more Eustachian tube issues.

Whilst different this does align with your theory!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I have some issues with Eustachian tubes too. This stuff helps:

• Airwaves chewing gum.
  • Keeping hydrated.
  • Hot bath, go right under water and turn head left and right until ears fill. Then keep ears under for ages. The hot water sits against the ear drum and warms the 5h1te the other side of it.

Mine started a few months after stopping smoking, so I believe it is linked to vaping. But I'm not stopping that because I like it. And, using menthol in the mixture does the opposite and helps clear them.

And majority of the time it's fine using the above guidelines.

I have spotted one correlation to sound. I'm no biologist, so can't explain why this is, as I don't get why sounds could affect the canal on the other (inner) side of the eardrums.

My handsfree for work calls sits on the outer ear and is mono. I have to swap it every now again (esp. if I have lots of meetings) as it causes more Eustachian tube issues.

Whilst different this does align with your theory!

Thanks mate, I'll give this all a go.

I did try to convince the ENT consultants (I'm mates with them) of my theory that its sub <50hz sounds which affect the fullness, and its mostly probably 30-60hz sounds, 10-20hz sounds etc.. He just looked at me like wtf are you ever going to hear soundwaves that low consistently which you can actually feel or are audible... I tried to explain suwboofers, home cinema.. He said we literally dont test hearing for frequencies that low .. :D

[email protected] I think its partly my fault. when I do eventually use the home cinema, I'm just constantrly looping stupid bass heavy scenes.. I'm talkint BASSS heavy like the greatest showman intro, batman dark knight car chase, etc. Its probably a bit silly of me. Yesterday I blasted Pacific Rim at +5 to +10db above reference only for 1 minute.. but it was the intro where they get into the gypsy for the first time. thats set off my recent fullness bout and prompted this thread lol.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Water is bad for ear wax, it expands and makes it worse and blocks passage.

I sometimes use olive oil, this breaks down the wax without making it expand.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

I actually got examined by ENT. Wax was in the other ear and removed. Didn’t make any difference . Eustachian tube dysfunction is not neccarsirly wax lol

sebna

Tests are one thing but it looks to me like your body is telling you it is too much for it. I would love to listen at +10 but I am too scared for my hearing so I never went over -20 :D. Also -20 felt too loud anyway so no problem with real need of going louder (my -20 is not calibrated tough so it can be anything really but I find 85db A weighted for stereo listening as loud as I would go so -20 in my HT system cannot be much more than that).

Actually if I would get 3 wishes, one would be to have hearing that regenerates to 100% every rolling 24h.

Dobbyisfree

It's not ear wax. It's normally mucous build up. These tubes are the other side of the ear drum, "designed" for pressure balance in the ear, they connect to the nasal passages.

I think, like me, his are prone to clogging a bit. Some peoples are narrower than others and prone to blockage. You can have an op to fix it, but I don't need that. As I said, the additional mucus that I get is linked to the minor amount of vaped oils I ingest every day.

barnitto

I did try to convince the ENT consultants (I'm mates with them) of my theory that its sub <50hz sounds which affect the fullness, and its mostly probably 30-60hz sounds, 10-20hz sounds etc.. He just looked at me like wtf are you ever going to hear soundwaves that low consistently which you can actually feel or are audible... I tried to explain suwboofers, home cinema.. He said we literally dont test hearing for frequencies that low .. :D

I also tried to have the same conversation with an audiologist, and got a blank look 🤷‍♀️

1pudding1

Tried sitting backwards in the room when playing a bassy scene? If the same ear is not feeling the fullness = ear problem. If the other ear isnt feeling the fullness = room sucking out the bass?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Nah. Symptoms go away if I don't listen to bass heavy stuff in the room.

Until I get the doors in, I guess I won't know as at present, a lot of bass on the left side of the room will be escaping through the massive opening.

Whether its an ear issue.... I've been extensively managed and investigated by ENT at this point with 4x different GPs, 1x ENT consultant looking into my ears, 1x IOPs, 2x audiology assessments and an MRI head... and and an ear syringed.. and a trial of ABX... and intranasal meds.. and otomise.. so I can't really ask for more.

So if it IS an ear issue, its not causing any hearing impairment as confirmed by audiology reports.. so I guess its just some weird thing I have to live with.

I do notice that I can now pop my ears much better than before when I first had the flare up.

I really really thought I would have an effusion behind my ear which they'd just put a needle in and drain lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom