1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Advice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by spine, Oct 24, 2005.

1. spine

spine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a set of Monitor Audio Radius R90AV speakers, which are driven by a Marantz SR4500 reciever. I want to complement these with a subwoofer that will not overwhelm them with bass, but rather to complement them. I don't listen at very high volumes and my room is 4.5m x 7m and is adjoined by an arch to another room 4.5m x 3m. I listed to music and also HT.

Which of the following subs would you recommend for the above setups:

REL Quake
    REL Stampede
    BK Gemini
    BK XLS200

2. allinthemind

allinthemind
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your budget will stretch i would try the REL Strata 5,as bigger is usually better (you can always turn it down), but im sure most people here would tell you to go for an SVS

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    up the ante, get a Strata 5, pester your local branch of sevenoaks to either do it for £650 or less or chuck in cables free at the usual price....heh

seriously, in a room that size you wont regret it, it wont overwhelm, it will actually fit quite nicely....

what you could do is ask the shop if they can lend you the 3 REL subs for an hour or two to take home and get an idea (they will want a sizable deposit tho if they dont know you, and only do this during the week, they tend to get people popping in for demos on the fly during weekends). Then you can see for yourself what sounds best, as for the BK subs i dunno, someone else might be able to help you out there in regards to getting a demo

4. MADMAND

MADMAND
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    bK monolith>Rel stata 5

5. spine

spine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't want to put big boxes in the living room - this is why I had narrowed it down to that list of subs.

Given that I'm not going to have very loud bass (I don't have very loud speakers either, but they're more than enough for me) ... which sub from the REL Quake, REL Stampede, BK XLS200DF and BK Gemini would be the best fit for my requirements?

6. spine

spine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed my choice to the REL Stampede and the BK XLS200-DF.

The BK-XLS200-DF will cost me £380 including delivered to my country. It seems to be highly regarded in this forum - but is not reviewed elsewhere.

On the other hand, I can get the REL Stampede for £530. This is 'What Hifi' best subwoofer and very highly regarded in all HC magazines.

Any advice would be appreciated.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    if you must keep the size down then the Stampede will be very nice.....its a more music orientated sub, but can punch a bit too.......shame you cant go bigger for the Strata 5...heh, i love mine :)
    (i havnt heard the BK tho i will say, so im not comparing them, just saying what i know about the Stampede)

8. spine

spine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that no one in this forum has actually heard BOTH the XLS200 and the REL Stampede - I find that a bit strange...

9. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
  10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    given he discounted the Strata 5 for being too large, i think the Stadium III is going to be a definite no no option....lol

i however would take an interest in yours if it wasnt for the fact my 7205 projector has put me in eternal debt....LOL
    (ok, 2 year debt....heh)

11. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    :D
    I know the feeling after buying Kinza's SVS
    but worth every penny :D

12. spine

spine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Stampede would cost me £160 more than the BK XLS200-DF. Is it worth the extra cash?

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard the Stampede so can't answer your question but do bear in mind that BK supply direct to the public whilst REL only supply through Authorised retailers. The Stampede is 36% more expensive than the BK but all of that, if not more will be the retailers slice of the pie so although the price to the customer of the REL is much more expensive the "factory gate" prices will be similar.