Question subwoofer advice SVS/REL/B&W ???

mbj666

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi all,

finally been getting round to upgrading my home cinema set up

just ordered a set of B&W 600 series for my 7.1 set up, 603 floor standers; HTM6 centre and 606 for surround, currently have a B&W CM series sub

receiver is an older Pioneer 804 (what was their top model some years back) , intend to get the denon 8500 when has HMDI 2.1 on board and price not silly

found my B&W subs bit hit and miss in terms of lasting without seeming to break (current is 3rd now vs my old trusty REL quake sub which lasted 10+years with no issue)

question is what sub would people recommend for this setup willing to spend max of £1200
options thinking currently are:
B&W ASW 610XP
SVS SB 2000 or maybe 3000
REL T9I

after any advice or alternative appreciated thankyou (been out the upgrade game for some time...)

Probably worth you reading this thread:-

It would seem to fit your criteria. When you consider that SVS often have some open box / ex demo units available to their dealers at good discounts........ :)

It depends how you want to connect to your system and what type of system. If you want/need a high level connection for music and an LFE channel seperately for HT (with the same power amp/speakers) with seperate gain controls you only have the option of REL, BK Elec or MJ acoustics.

Sure - but as regards high/level crossovers controlled via knobs on the rears of subs do you really want to go there? And what if you want multiple subs? Connection and phase optimisation is going to become something of a nightmare. I wouldn’t go there personally.

A good processor will allow you to set all the crossovers and optimise the sub sat integrations and timings more effectively IMO.

Here is an excellent thread that explains the aspects you need to consider when getting sub/sat timing and integration correct.

Measuring timing of sub(s) to mains with REW

to clarify a bit i would just use the sub for HT as an LFE sub. I have a full naim system an kudos speakers for music in other room

am familiar with the REL knob fun ;)

wouldn't use a high level connection in this set up as can power hi/lo channel on the 603s with my AV receiver (basically bi-amps it) and already enough oomf /bass on that side from the 603s

am after that real deep, tight, low, sub bass sound again as missing it in current set up since my old B&W PV1d (was the early model) blew up and died on me :(

If you set the speakers as small in the receiver you'll end up using the sub for anything below the crossover point and the LFE, I don't believe there's a way to say LFE only. Maybe if you switch modes when watching non-movie content? Still, on a movie anything under the crossover point + LFE will be sent to the sub.

Using a sub, even with those speakers, is a good idea though. You'll lift the load of the bottom end from them, and from your receiver and allow them do more in the mid-range, which is where they can really shine. I've had those speakers and pairing them with a velodyne DD15 made the world of difference.

I wouldn't bother with the B&W subs, unless the matching is a key factor for you. They tend not to perform as well as other subs for the same price, and I'm a massive B&W fan. If you're happy with used and can accommodate it, there's s PSA s1800 in the classifieds. I've paired those with B&W speakers with great results.

I also wouldn't bother with the "bi-amping" of the fronts. You'll just be reducing the power available to the other channels. If you have the cabling it's free to try of course.

For a HT set up i would go with the SVS option. They are compact and pack a punch down to 20Hz. Customer service is also excellent should anything go wrong.

I would totally discount the B&W subs and only look at SVS or REL, they are really tremendous products. I know people that swear by both brands, I went with SVS and have been so happy running dual SB3000's

I used to have a PV1 and it wasn't as good as a single SB3000 in my room

I would totally discount the B&W subs and only look at SVS or REL, they are really tremendous products. I know people that swear by both brands, I went with SVS and have been so happy running dual SB3000's

I used to have a PV1 and it wasn't as good as a single SB3000 in my room
That answers my question then! PV1 was quite musical but didn't deliver any clout for me in films. My question would the SVS SB300 or SV2000 Pro?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom