1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer Advice, And Pricing...Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bwstsw, Oct 2, 2003.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'd like to thank those that helped me with deciding about the LCD Projector I was looking at a few days ago, but now I have another request.

Does anybody here know which online store does a reasonably priced REL Quake sub? At AVLand they are selling the black finish at about £350, but there must be somewhere apart from eBay that is cheaper.

Can anybody also give me a bit of technical advice? REL are a good make yeah? I am only just sort of getting into this, but I have a mid range Sony amp and sat/sub package already, but the sub, although good, isn’t as deep and rich as I want it to be. I have come across many makes, Sony, Mission, KEF, but I likes the look of the Quake. I am just not sure how 'low' it can go, or even if it will be loud and thunderous enough than my current Sony one, which is a 100w active sub, x 5 sats. This will be my first stab into the world of expensive speakers :)

I'd appreciate any advice, but my budget is only £350 really, for the sub, and its imperative it has the ol' sub-out for connection to my amp :)

Cheers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    REL have banned internet trading for their subs so you are likely to find that all places will quote the same price and REL wasn't a make that attracted much discounting anyway as they could sell as many as they wanted without having to resort to price cutting.

Having heard both the Quake and the similar sized offerings from MJ Acoustics I much prefer the latter but there are many who feel the BK XLS200 available only directly from the manufacturer here is the best value compact subwoofer available.

The company aren't well known but have years of experience as they actually manufacture subs for other companies which appear under their clients' names. The advantage of the XLS200 is that there is no huge dealer margin or advertising costs that the customer has to pay for.

There are a few reports in the forum from people who have bought them but even more from customers of MJ Acoustics

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    For what its worth MJ have done very well in the latest What hi-Fi Buyers Guide/awards with their 50 and 100 models.

Chris

4. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, I have been doing alot of browsing and everyone seems to say the MJ Acoustics, either the 50 or 100 are some of the best ever subs for under £400. I also note they swept the awards and took home the prizes in most magazines too. Over at Creative Audio they are doing the Ref 100 for £349 with free sub cable, spikes and free delivery. But can anybody honestly tell me how big an improvement audio, sound, quality, clarity wise this sub will be over my entry range 100w (cube design) Sony sub? I have never really seen these more expensive subs in action, so the best I have heard are subs on par with mine.

Looking again at my system I have been attracted also to the new KEF KHT 1005, also at creative audio for £449, with free cable etc. I am not sure how good this system will be, or even if it is worth spending a hundred quid more and getting a completelly new speaker system, not just sub. Are these the infamous 'Kef Eggs' that come with the 1005, they seem slightly different in design.

But to summarise, what would you guys do, splash out on the KEF 1005 or upgrade the sub for now. I live at home still, so its for my moderatelly sized room. Any advice is very welcome :)

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Night and day. Bass instead of flatulence. As long as you spend a little time setting it up correctly you'll be laughing on the other side of your face.

You won't get the the thunder of some of the big boxes in such a compact space but the difference compared to your Sony box should astonish you.

Chris

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    These aren't the eggs - they are the 2005 range. It may be worth your while looking at the JM Labs Sib & Cub sub / satellite setup which Creative Audio are selling for £649. The supplied subwoofer probably won't be as good as the MJ Acoustics Ref 1 but you may end up with a better overall package.

Edit - Forum sponsors hifibitz are selling the Sib & Cubs for £599.99

7. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Just had a look at that BK XLS200, seems like real give-away for under £300, when its spec sheet looks just as impressive as MJ's and REL's. But again is this going to be a significant enough upgrade over my Sony sub that I have now?

If you had to pick between quality, clarity and all that, which of the above would you go for, the REL Quake, the MJ Acoustics Reference 100, the KEF KHD 1005 or the BK XLS200? Performance is a must, I aint sure how low-frequency the BK XLS200 can manage, the MJ 100 can go as low as 13Hz its been reported.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That must have been Pinnochio with the two foot nose that said that. Subwoofer manufacturers aren't renowned for their fair presentation of statistics and MJ Acoustics are amongst the worst offenders which is a shame as they make very good subs.

The KEF isn't in the same league as the others, I have heard the REL Quake just the once and didn't rate it very much leaving the MJ Ref One and BK sub. I wouldn't imagine that there would be a great deal in it performance wise between those two and either would be capable of putting a big smile on your face.

9. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Oh dear. After a lifetime of deliberation over subwoofers my shortlist had come down to Velodyne and SVS.
    However, after reading this thread and doing a forum search, the BKXLS200 has become the front runner. If I can be convinced that it's a significant upgrade to my PDR10 I fear that my funds are soon to be depleted.
    I'm about to email BK to clarify a couple of points.
    And then. I know there must be better ways to spend £300 but......
    Oh dear :confused:

10. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the one I think I am going to go for, they are giving away free spikes and wires away with it too it seems. The craftsmanship and quality of the product looks superb, the thing weighs 17.5kg...thats nearly twice as much as the one I have now and are very similar in size. Just to be nosey, but what questions were you to ask BK?

The specs look quite similar to the MJ Acoustics Ref 150, not the 100, the BK having the 200w amp, and 10" cone alone seems to be impressive at the price. And as many have already said, its one of the best 'sadly most unrecognosed' subs on the market for under £500. I am no expert but everyone seems to think they are amazing, quality wise and sound wise. Anything's gotta be an improvement over this Sony effort I have. I tried Star Wars Episode II on it this afternoon, just to make extra sure I need to upgrade, and suffice to say, the sub didnt impress me half as much as i'd like it to, its like its just bass coming through it, not that age old 'subwoofer bass' and there is a huge difference.

There isnt much info on their site about the sub, I wonder if it has a guarantee with it? Creative Audio are doing a 2 year extended warranty on the MJ Acoustics range, plus better sub wire. But you are expected to pay £350 for the Ref 100. Thats another point, how much are BK going to charge to deliver a 17.5kg item? I cant seem to find any info on their website...

11. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi bwstsw
    I had a quick response to my email which answers a couple of your points.
    I think I'll go for it.

12. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    On their website, whilst viewing the BK XLS 200, click "Add to cart" then "Checkout" and it will tell you the total cost plus delivery. It looks like £287 is total price to anywhere in the UK. :clap:

13. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep going to order one later on today, just waiting an email off our resident Tom. If I can buy this for a snippet under £300, when everybody claims to to be exactly the same as the REL Q200E in built quality, sound quality etc, i'd rather save £300 and give my money to a company more deserving, not to say that REL dont deserve it, just in this case BK are better owners of my bucks. :smashin: :smoke:

14. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have just ordera BK XLS200, the person on the other end of the line said it was the last one.

I was due to take delivery of a AAD E-6 sub tomorrow but when the BK XLS200 came up i jut had to go for it.

At the moment i am running a Gale 3080 which is also has a 10" cone, but from what i have read i shouldn't compare the two.

.........roll on Monday.

I will post my findings after i have had a chance to 'play' with it.

15. james4001

james4001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to interupt this thread but i am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the YAMAHA YST-SW215 sub as i was considering buying it. I have found it for £140, i do not want to go above £150 but is this a good sub for a starter system for someone not demanding too much
    James

16. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was intending to order a BK XLS 200 as well then noticed the post two up :/

Left them an email saying I was after one and got a phone call this morning saying an order they had had not cleared with payment details so getting mine delivered on Monday/Tuesday :D

Hope this thing is good, was very tempted by a Rel q200 for 550.

Gonna be used with B&W602 / B&W LCR60 / Eltax Floorstander Rears.

17. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi munkay
    Its a good job you have got the BK sub because for 550 quid you can get a much better sub than the q200e,The BK will give you the same performance at half the price(nearly).
    Enjoy. Merry crimbo Gonzo.

18. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So are these more comparable with q200 than the q100?

And what sort of performance should they offer compared to the £500-700 b&w subs? (650, 675 types)

And is anyone with a digicam able to take some pics of theirs :)

Roll on Monday :)

19. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some pics from a previous thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is more comparable with the Q200E, having very similar specs. The BK sub has an edge over both it and the older Q100E, IMHO. In B&W's range it falls between the ASW600 and ASW675, performance-wise. I haven't heard the ASW650, sorry - looks hard to match with a 12" driver and 200W amp though. The ASW675 is a step up from the XLS-200 and Q200E, IMHO.

MuFu.

20. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I just had a look on the BK site a few subs there but no xls 200?

21. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah they were there until the 18th of December. Sold out now.

They are going to make in the new year, but not sure if it will be the exact same spec, or one using different components.

22. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Also in the market for a new sub, the BK XLS200 seems highly rated here and I was wondering if anyone has approached BK Electronics on a higher spec subwoofer, maybe to get up with the B&W ASW675?

From the images above I see there is no stand/spikes, I have a laminate floor and I feel I am going to be suseptable to vibrations if I plop this unit straight onto the floor, were is everyone else going to place this unit?

My setup is a little dated, not sure how this sub will work with it, any advise would be appreciated?

MaNc

23. munkay

munkay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The BK comes with floor spikes as well.

I have it on a wooden floor and its fine. Would the floor spikes not be more geared up for use on carpets surely??

24. mancubas

mancubas
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    @Munky, after speaking to BK I realise it comes with spike "accessories", so I can fit them if I want to (Which I wont be). I think they may also offer rubber feet in place of the spikes so protecting "laminate" floors, shall ask about this when I come to buy one.

The BK XLS200 aint gonna be around for much longer and further to my conversation with them I have been told that it will be replaced with a 300w ver, the spec of this is not confirmed but rest assured it will be more money than the xls200.

From all the initial feedback on this forum I think it will be a missed opportunity for people who are considering purchasing one, there is simply no sub available of this spec for <£300. I shall be ordering mine tommorow :D

Shall keep you posted on my finding once it has bed in :D

MaNc

PS: Below is the link to the BK XLS200 if people are struggling to find it.

BK XLS200