1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoe

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AlfaKhan, Oct 20, 2002.

1. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I wonder if anybody here at the Forums can help me with a subwoofer problem.

I’ve owned a Yamaha ST-320 for about a year now. Recently, it started to make a kind of low to medium “thump” now and then, when in use. It is fed via a Denon 3801 receiver and I really don’t know if this is a subwoofer or amp related problem.

It happens only about 1 or 2 times during a full feature film (90 to 120 minutes) but it is quite audible and, as rare as it is, still distracting.

The fact that it happens so seldom makes it very difficult to pin point the problem, or even to demonstrate it to the people at the shop I bought it from.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

HB

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Does the sub have an On/Auto/Off power switch?

It sounds like it is auto turning off after a certain time peroid with low signal input.

If there is the option on the switch leave it on ON.

3. A Benefactor

A Benefactor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha YST-SW90 connected to a Toshiba RPTV.
    It makes a thump everytime the central heating pump switches on or off.

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutley nearly right! the thump is the sub switching back on at the detection of a signal.

Taz.:cool:

5. AlfaKhan

AlfaKhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys,

I forgot I have it in "Auto" power up since I installed it.

(...and, Benefactor, the SW 320 does state "...the power might turn on unexpectedly by sensing noise from other appliances. If that occurs, set the AUTO STANDBY switch to OFF or LOW position.").

It still bugs me though, because it didn’t happen until some time ago…

Also, in my set up, the subwoofer is not very easily accessible, so that’s why I enabled AUTO power up in the first place. But, if it now makes a “thump” whenever it comes up due to material content, it isn't a very useful function any longer, is it?

Before disabling it I’ll try to increase the range of the frequency spectrum cutout. I am reasoning that if I allow higher frequencies to sound through the subwoofer it will be less prone to go into “auto-standby” during presentations. (The HIGH/LOW auto-standby sensitivity switch is already set to HIGH).

HB

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid Yamaha have taken thier cue from many American sub manufacturers with this auto on / off nonsense.
    I've not come across a sub yet that cannot be caught out. What normally happens is, during quiet passages the sub goes off into a coma and wakes up when (depending on sub and settings) highish db's are sensed. Even my Velodyne units can get caught out with auto off/on. Luckily, unlike some, Velodyne have the sense to also give the option of simple off / on.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed Uncle Eric, when I watched Panic Room with the auto feature the sub twice turned itself off as the film has many quiet passages, now it's a simple on/off with the remote :)