Subtitles

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jimmyshere, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jimmyshere

Jimmyshere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, does anyone know if there is any kind of website which lists if a movie has them? Here's the problem, i use lovefilm and have rented films like the HD DVD wolf creek, i would have presumed that being put on HD that it would have had the option of subtitles. The dvd info page on the site states some movies that have subtitles/hearing impaired recorded and others do not. I emailed them and asked if it was 100% accurate information and they said yes (as i cant follow a film without it gets sent straight back). So in the process of removing films from my list i came across movies such as Rush Hour 3 on my list to be rented which has no mention of subtitles, i would have thought subs would be recorded on films such as this. Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any help:thumbsup:

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    You might want to try our own reviews section here.

Of the movies we cover we always list all subtitles that are available.

Keith

3. Jimmyshere

Jimmyshere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith, its a start. Tried the Rush Hour 3 review for example, even though its the BD version logic would tell me the dvd would also have subtitles.

4. sore napper

sore napper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    This is a good place to check.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/

The only problem is, it can sometimes take a while to be updated with the latest releases, and I see that Rush Hour 3 isn't listed yet.

5. Jimmyshere

Jimmyshere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks sore, not to fussed about the slow updates as there is a lot on my list that have been out a year or so. They are straight to dvd and the non box office hits kind of movies, therefore also less likely to have subtitles recorded.

6. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I would have thought all DVD/HD/BD movies would have subtitles - surprised they don't :eek:

7. Jimmyshere

Jimmyshere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, nothing like cracking open a beer and relaxing in the chair, waiting 5 min for the tosh to load a disc only for no subs:mad:As i mentioned the HD DVD wolf creek(perhaps not a great movie, although ill never know) why go through the trouble of putting it out on the HD without subtitles?

8. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Wolf Creek is a good movie actually, its refreshing to see a decent horror amoungst all that American gore rubbish that hollywood is putting out at the moment!

It got me thinking any way, does the DVD version of Wolf Creek have subs, I dont own a copy so can not confirm, but a quick look on the IMDB says it has Subtitles (the IMDB may help you choose what does/doesn't have subs). So if the DVD version has subtitles but the HD version doesn't I would be amazed.

EDIT: Just checked IMDB again, it may be that those subs are in Spanish (for the USA market) so what I said may be a waste of time.

BTW - if you want a good horror, in the Wolf Creek style, watch Switchblade Romance - its a French movie, so it must have subtitles :D and its a cracking horror!

9. Jimmyshere

Jimmyshere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mattrix, added switchblade to my list. You touched on a point there with the U.S version, hunting a title down to check if subtitles are recorded there is more chance of the U.S version being listed on a website. I did think that if it had subtitles listed it would mean the U.K one would also have them, but it seems it may not always be the case.