1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles - Region 3

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gary D, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Just a little warning about buying Asian titles on region 3. yes it may be a bargain but can you watch it?

A couple of weeks ago i ordered "in the mood for love" from an R3 supplier, it arrived on time and everything was cool. Packaging was nice, DVD was well presented, the DTS sound was lovely and clear - then i started to watch it - the subtitling is awful - sentenances are unfinished and when they are they dont make any sense at all.

I've watched alot of asain cinema recently and while the subtitling has been done by someone who doesn't have english as a first language, it hasn't been as bad as this was. i'll be on to the supplier later today to get it changed for a different version of the film.

Gary

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    How was 2046? Thinking of ordering this, did you get the region-free version from cd-wow?

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
  4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Good stuff, will order 2046 then. It's got good reviews plus I'm a big Zhang Ziyi fan! :D

Regarding 'in the mood for love' I didn't know Criterion did region-free dvds?

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827

i didn't either - but it is a real one:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=147

really looking forward to watching it with decent subtitles :D i really enjoyed what i saw but i'm not sure than i fully got the plot due to the rubbish subtitling.

Gary

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds like you got a Mainland China bootleg version. That said this is not a general R3 issue, rather it depends on where the DVD comes from and how authentic it is. Releases by major labels usually do not spot such problems.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827

i doubt that dude i bought from CDWOW so unless they are starting to sell pirate copies. I did some checking and it seems that the edition i bought is notorious for its bad subtitles. I've found that in general R3 subtitling is OK. But it is quite often bad in terms of gammer and punctuation. Furthermore, it becomes increasingly apparent that most subtitlers dont have english as a first language. But what surprises me most is that they cant find someone who speaks English in Hong Kong to do the subtitles!

Gary

8. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    But why would they employ someone who speaks and writes perfect english??
    The dvds are made for the HK market NOT for western movie fans.

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Captain, they provide the english subtitles - so why do them badly? HK used to be a British protectorate until handover in 1997 so maybe the idea of finding some one multi lingual wouldn't be that hard.

i was simply pointing out that while it may be a bargain buying a cheap R3 release of a movie, it may turn out to be a false economy if the subtitling is poor and thus a 5 star movie isd turned to crap because of the poor subtitling. Maybe if i'd bought the Tartan release of the film which is almost 3 times the price the subtitling may have been better, as it is made for a english speaking market.

Gary

10. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Well you should research the disc you first, as you said you looked around and found out that the disc you had was notorious for having bad subtitling, if you are a regular R3 buyer you should be aware that you can end up with a piece of crap if you don’t find out details before hand. Having said that I cannot think of any HK or Korean films in my collection that I would complain about.

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    if a company is going to supply english titles then i would at least expect them to be passable. furthermore if a site like CDWOW (a british site)are selling the title i would have thought that they may have checked it out for an english speaking market. After all is the DVD "fit for purpose" (a little tradings standards law we have) obviously if the subtitling is very poor then its not "fit for purpose". If i was buying from any of the big Region 3 sites (Yesasia etc) i would have looked into the disc.

As for saying that you have nothing you would complain about in regard to your R3 titles, how do you know? the film could have the greatest and most profound script ever written but it could be lost, because of the poor translation. The only foriegn language films that i have no complaints about are those from Tartan. And while the quality of R3 subtitling is "OK" its far from perfect but its usually passable. "In the Mood for Love" is shockingly bad.

gary

12. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I am sorry but you are just completely wrong, CD WOW may be a British company but they are based in Hong Kong and sell you titles that have not been certified for release in Britain. They are under no obligation to check subtitles these discs are not intended for distribution outside of their respective markets. Trading standard laws do not apply to these items because they cannot be legally bought in the UK you are importing for your own personal use. Now if there was something physically wrong with the disc like it was scratched or didn’t play all the way through then fair enough. I am sorry but buying any DVD involves research even R2 which might be cut or not have 5.1 or is anamorphic.

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827

i think you missed the whole point of the thread and the original post.

Gary
    (Discussion closed)

14. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I don't think I have missed any point, and I am sorry if you think I am being harsh but if you are going to buy foreign disc you have to research, I too have been stung by buying films and not checking that they even have English subs.

Your original point was well constructed and a good warning people new to buying foreign films however you then went on to complain that foreign films not meant for an English speaking market in the first place should have perfect English subtitles!

15. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827

i didn't i just queried why they would provide english subs but implement them so badly. if they are meant for a non english market then why but them on?

gary

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    i recevied my new copy of In the mood for love yesterday. i did a quick A/B comparison of the subtitling on both versions of the film and i have to say that the differance is HUGE! There are whole lines of dialogue that are translated differently. I shall watch it again over the weekend as i get the feeling i could be almost like watching a whole different film.

The point is - if the subtitling hadn't been so bad in the first version (i.e sentances that weren't finished) i would never have know. I wonder how many more R3 titles have such poor subtitling but i just haven't noticed it?

Gary