Subtitles on Catch Up TV

rickety

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am deaf and am disappointed that subtitles are missing when I download a Catch-Up programme.
Is there any explanation ?

A catch-up programme on what channel?

Last edited:
On what are you watching, too. (Platform: freeview, freesat, sky, virgin. Device: TV, PVR, laptop, tablet, Chromecast, Fire TV etc.,.)

Different devices have different limitations sometimes.

Here's a recent one on ITV Hub Catchup issues Freeview subtitles that ended up about headphones/hearing aids and Bluetooth.

I use Sky (the ordinary box) and have found no subtitles on BBC, ITV and 4 catch-up.
I guess will have to use headphones and up the volume.

Oh $ky. That crock of.... BBC are working on it for the proprietary $ky catchup systems and it might be there on at least some programmes now:

If BBC have found it hard to implement others may have found it harder?

($ky still relies on teletext subtitles for realtime broadcasting, rather than the more elegant DVB subs. So BBC, and others, have to include both subtitle variants to keep $ky users happy.)

Do you have the apps on your TV?
Might a Firestick offer a solution?
Sky’s iplayer is rubbish

My Samsung has all the apps but not going to buy a Firestick. Just have to plan my viewing better and not have to rely on Catch Up

Do the catch up apps built into the tv have subtitles if Sky doesn’t?

Sorry, the TV does not have catch-up apps, I just have the Sky Box ones

Thanks for that. It's a Sky+ HD box and the problem is the same whether or not Sky subtitles are 'on' or 'off'
The petition seems to be 4 years old and dead.
I am not concerned with iPlayer, it is just the standard Catch Ups from the main networks. (Sky catch up works fine)
The only network which works perfectly for me is Amazon Prime. It's football comes over in much higher definition than Sky HD or BBC. Not only that you can adjust the size of the subtitles which is great. While on the subject what is the need for 'signing' ? Subtitles must surely serve better? (as long as you are not on Catch Up!)

Thanks for that. It's a Sky+ HD box and the problem is the same whether or not Sky subtitles are 'on' or 'off'
The petition seems to be 4 years old and dead.
I am not concerned with iPlayer, it is just the standard Catch Ups from the main networks. (Sky catch up works fine)
The only network which works perfectly for me is Amazon Prime. It's football comes over in much higher definition than Sky HD or BBC. Not only that you can adjust the size of the subtitles which is great. While on the subject what is the need for 'signing' ? Subtitles must surely serve better? (as long as you are not on Catch Up!)
Petition page stated $ky will do 80%+ on catchup - and you (now) state $ky Catchup is OK... :facepalm:

BBC Catchup should be too from the BBC links - try a $ky support forum for "how" or BBC if you have to. On my TV iPlayer the Subtitle switch is on the bottom of the screen / navigation / play/pause bar that comes up.

Other broadcasters: Ask them how / why not?

British Sign Language is its own, separate, language and not all deaf can speak/read English (subtitles) but do use signing.

https://rnid.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Enjoying-TV-film-and-the-arts-leaflet.pdf may be useful to you?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom