Subtitles cut off by bottom edge of screen....why?

B

BatCountry

I've got a weird problem that's got me tearing my hair out. Hopefully someone can lend a hand...

I have a 5+ yr old Sanyo widescreen CRT hooked up to a 3+ yr old Samsung DVD player (sorry, no model numbers at hand). Last week I hired Warrior King (Ong Bak 2) from my local UK video shop, only to find that the subtitles were so far down at the bottom of the screen that half of the text was chopped off (it has two lines of subtitles). Nothing I could find in either the TV nor DVD settings could change this.

This being the first and only time I've had this problem, I returned the DVD unwatched, and changed it for The Da Vinci Code, which I tried to watch last night. I got the same problem - the parts of the film that were not in English were subtitled, but they were so far down the screen that they again got chopped off (only one line this time).

I've just moved house, so quite possibly the DVD / TV haven't been re-set up properly, but I can't work out what I need to change to sort it out.

Can anyone help me out?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Set the DVD to output 16:9 not 4:3 or 4:3 Letterbox, whilst you are in there check you outputting RGB and not composite.

matt_p

Novice Member
You've got a zoom mode enabled on either your TV or your DVD player. Make sure each is set to 16:9 wide. You'll have to go through your manuals to see what they've got re: zoom modes.

B

BatCountry

Thanks for the replies.

My DVD player has the following settings, all of which I've tried:

4:3
4:3 Letterbox
Widescreen

It also has the choice of RGB, Video and S-Video.

My TV is not on zoom, nor is my DVD player.

Could it be a physical problem with my TV?

nwgarratt

I have only seen this with non anamorphic where the zoom cuts of the subs. No problems with Warrior King on my set. It shows two lines of subs fine. They do seem a little further down than normal.

Make sure the player is on 16:9 (wide) mode and the TV is also on the same mode. Some TV's have a subtitle mode which raises them up the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom