Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Subtitle support for media center

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by meansizzler, Sep 3, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Does anyone know if their is a plugin which will enable 3rd party subtitle support in media center like those ripped from dvd's in .txt and .srt which can be played back with programs such as BS Player, reason being is because I have a lot of asian dvd's which i rip to.wmv then i rip the subtitles but i have to play them back in another player, i'd rather play it back in media center, since it is suppose to be the media application that does everything, it's a shame they don't offiicialy support it, then again nor does media player, anyone have any ideas?

2. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    anyone?

3. wshuttes

wshuttes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have installed VSFilter / DirectVobSub which is a freeware application and seems to work ok with most subtitles although i have had a few problems with some movies simply playing a black screen but no audio or picture.

you can find the vsfilter here
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VSFilter_DirectVobSub

4. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I don't have anything to test it with yet, does it with media center/media player 10 and does it load the subtitles automatically if they are in the same directory..

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I think in principle if it won't play in WMP then it ain't gonna play in MCE as WMP is the engine that it uses for all playback.
    Just use XBMC it's a much better media player than WMP.

6. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    But I don't want to use my Xbox, and no it is not better than media player, media player has the napster plugin and can sync your files to a portable player...stupid of you to say that..., it also can get song info and album art, and plays back DRM content...

7. wshuttes

wshuttes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it definetly works with WMP 10 and it does work with MCE 2005.

in fact i have just got it the problem resolved that i was talking about. I reinstall VSFilter / DirectVobSub and also installed Vobsub.

As for the subtitle files. they need to be in the same directory as the movie file and also need to be exactly the same file name except for the extension which you should rename with a .sub

i had it working before but then it just stopped. i haven't rebooted yet so i am hoping it continues to work.

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Please don't go insulting me again!

I said a better media player as it is better at playing media. XBMC plays anything you care to throw at it without having to find or even buy a CODEC. So for my purposes at least it is a better media player i.e. better at playing media. The original point of this thread is a case in point I bet that XBMC just plays these files correctly whereas WMP needs to have VSFilter / DirectVobSub & Vobsub installed.

Synching media files is not what I regard as playing media although I do take your point about DRM as I hadn't realised that XBMC did not play them as I don't have any DRMed files.