• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

subsidence advise

jimag

Standard Member
Hi all, at present I'm locked into a battle with an insurance company that believes covering up cracks resolves subsidence claims.
In an attempt to get satisfaction I contacted the Financial Ombudsman who only seems to be interested in accepting everything the insurer and or their engineers say.
The problem is as a result of our bungalow and attached garage being built on two separate rafts, the bungalow is of the normal brick construction however the garage only has exterior walls and is a lean-to to the flank wall of the bungalow.
The garage was rebuilt in 1992 due to subsidence and a new toe raft was installed as the ground under the garage would not support the structure.
In 2006 prior to us purchasing the property our building inspector pointed out cracks to the abutting walls, the then owner had it inspected and we were given a letter confirming stability via the insurers and some cosmetic repairs were carried out.
In 2010 again cracks appeared and the insurers instructed engineering inspections. cutting a long story a little shorter they found that the monitoring of the cracks both opened and closed within a 6 month period, but because they returned to the same as the beginning measurement they said it was stable and only further cosmetic covering up of the cracks were necessary.
On the NEC (New Engineering Construction website) it states that an in balanced building on a floating raft (EG walls on 3 sides only) will result in the raft tipping, therefore my contention is that the two rafts of my building will always be unstable and will move as and when prevailing conditions effect the ground.
Can any one support or otherwise my view and or suggest an engineer that could help me?
Thanks Jim

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom