Subscribed to HD, but not receiving HD channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Liam64, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Liam64

Liam64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky HD box (Samsung) was installed on Monday, and the engineer said it would take 4 hours for the HD channels to kick in. After that never happened, I called Sky and twelve hours of pretty much solid phone calls (a rant on their pathetic customer service is probably best saved for some other time :p) they finally told me that they couldn't pair the card, they were getting some sort of error message, and that it had been passed on to the IT department. I was told I would hear from them in two days.

It's now five days and god knows how many phonecalls later, and I still have no HD. All Sky will tell me is that I'll be waiting an 'indefinite' amount of time, as the IT department is not contactable. As you can probably appreciate I'm hopelessly stressed out by the whole thing, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the problem? I'm obviously not asking for a fix, I just want to know if this is a common problem? How long can I expect to wait before the elusive IT department sort something out? If I wait thirty days for them to fix it, do I lose my one month warranty?

The message I get on the HD channels (I am receiving the freeview C4HD and BBC HD with no problems) is "Call 08442... to upgrade your subscription to receive this HD channel"

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,942
    mate, i am having the exact same problem. I had my sky+ replaced with sky+hd on thursday, and get the same message on HD channels. I also no longer receive movies and sports, as it says ' This is the incorrect viewing card for this set top bo, please call....'. The installed said it would take up to 72 hours, so hopefully will be able to watch both matches on sky sports. Let me know how you get on.

3. Liam64

Liam64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank christ I've found someone with the same problem! Not that it's a good thing for you of course, but I was beginning to feel rather alone! :D

I also had the exact same problem with Sky Sports SD (don't sub to movies), and I had the exact same error message as you (different to the one I'm getting on the HD channels). My Sky Sports SD just started working again after about three days, just came back on while I was watching a different channel. Not been as lucky with the HD channels, unfortunately...

4. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had to ring Sky three times to get them to turn on my HD channels.

Sometimes it just does not work the first time...

5. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,942
    well im off to work shortly and when i get back, if the football is not on, im not getting off the phone til its sorted. Im now paying sky over £100 a month with world package, 3 multirooms, skyHD, sky line rental and sky talk, so they best get it sorted.

6. Liam64

Liam64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They've tried twelve times for me over the phone, and three times for two different engineers.

Still nothing today when I woke up, anyway. Anyone else have any information? :)

7. Liam64

Liam64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, it's working! Delvey take note. :p

I initiated an update on the box by turning it off at the mains, holding back-up down, turning it on again with back-up still pressed, then waited ten or so seconds for all the lights at the front to come on. Let go of back-up and wait ten minutes.

After it all turned back on I saw that my box version (in Services > 4 > 5) had changed from 0.6.060 to 0.7.070. I called Sky back and asked them to try pairing it again, and everything came on instantly. It might not be your problem Delvey, but it's definitely worth a try!

Now to email Sky and get my installation fee back, seeing as I had to wire the box myself and pair the card, all because of a crap installation!

8. Liam64

Liam64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update number 2! The £30 installation fee has been credited to my account, as has the £3 that I paid for the week I had no HD. I paid about a tenner in phone calls over the week, but I'll not grumble, as they were very quick to refund me the installation.

Sky's staff seems to be a mix of the very knowledgeable, the well meaning but dumb and the completely idiotic, none of whom have any communication with each other. It makes for incredibly poor customer service, but the product they're selling is excellent. A couple of the documentary channels are currently showing programs marked as HD in the EPG that clearly aren't HD, but overall the picture quality is great. And it all got fixed in time for Ford Super Sunday!

Let me know if my fix helps you, Delvey.

9. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Well, you have to remember, whilst some of the documentaries may be 'HD' they often use older film clips which certainly are not. Sky only marks something as HD if it's native HD, not upscaled but they have to go by what the other channels tell them, they have no direct control.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  10. God's Toy

God's Toy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Holy Crap thats a lot of times. Did you get a new box from them? If not I would!

EDIT: Just seen you got it sorted! good stuff :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  11. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,942
    I got it sorted from you, and basically did the same thing. They told me to do a upgrade, gave me the code that an engineer would use and upgraded it. Card paired fine after that. I didnt get my install free back, just another 3 months of HD for free (which works out the same). I watched united vs west ham before, and WOW

12. Zincubus

Zincubus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Jees I too have a similar proble

The HD box was installed this afternoon but we couldn't get any of the subsribed HD channels apart fropm BBC HD and Channel 4 HD .
    HE said that we would be in a Queue and it may take some time and to ring Sky in a few hurs.
    I rang once , got through and then got cut off ! I rang a second time and the Sky bloke said he would treat us PRIORITY and send a signal or something THEN eerything would be OK - of course NOTHING happened and 5 hours later we are still waiting !!

Any ideas ?

We are subcribed to HD by the way even though trhe online mesage says Call 08702 404020 to upgrade your subscription to receive this channel . ( Incidently " A DEAD NUMBER !" )

13. Liam64

Liam64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds exactly like what happened to me. Try what I suggested, a few posts up.

"I initiated an update on the box by turning it off at the mains, holding back-up down, turning it on again with back-up still pressed, then waited ten or so seconds for all the lights at the front to come on. Let go of back-up and wait ten minutes."

Then when that's done, call Sky up and tell them you want your box pairing. They'll probably say no point, as they've already tried today, but be forceful. Because if the update you initiate works, then as soon as they try pairing it this time, problem solved!

Not guaranteed, but it's a suggestion. :)

14. Zincubus

Zincubus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Update

We have NOW got HD channels after about 5 hours waiting.

Only problem is we don't have ANYTIME TV !!?

Says we are NOT subscribed or something !!

Aggghhhhhh !

15. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Anytime will take a while to come down. it might be worth switching it off then saving the settings than putting it back on again.

16. fredsie

fredsie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Anytime loads a small proportion of its content each day, at the same time deleting stuff that its loaded a couple of weeks before. So for a new install it takes up to two weeks before you get a full lot of content. But it should at least start within a few days.

17. Zincubus

Zincubus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Now we are having problems in the other room with the "old" Sky plus box .

When we try to record it says we are not subscribed !!

Why do we keep getting these crazy messages ??

18. wallybasoom

wallybasoom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also had this problem, lost sports and movies and not receiving HD. Installed on 29th June, called SKY was told 48hrs, 2 days later was getting movies and sport but still no HD channels. Tried the manual update as mentioned then called SKY, still no luck. All they could do was send an e-mail to IT and told me it would be 72hrs, anyway 3 days later and surprise surpsrise still no HD. Another phone call and a conversation with a manager resulted in, you guessed it, another e-mail to IT and another 72hrs!! Anyway they are calling us back Tuesday, I will of course be demanding a full refund! 8 days, is this the record wait or can anyone top this!