1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Iancity, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Got an Onkyo 600 amp , but have a cheapo Yamaha sat/sub. Also have around £500 to spend :) I think that a sub would improve my system over new sats at the moment and have read a few threads with interest. It seems the only choices are MJ acoustics (either Pro 50 or Pro 100) or the cheapest REL, or possibly the Anthony Galow sub, although already had a bit of a bad experience with them. My demands are movies only as I have a dedicated music system and I am mostly looking for slam and grunt, rather than any subtle stuff(, although I probably have never heard a good low rumble atmospherically because my existing sub is so bad):blush: :rolleyes:
    Can anybody recommend some to listen to.

Also:blush: my amp has a choice between 80,100 or 120 Hz crossover. have tried all three and they do seem different but not sure which one I prefer. Is there a recommended setting I should use, and would this change with a new sub.

Really appreciate any advice, and thanks in advance.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

Check out the Power Buys Forum and the Velodyne subs, the CHT10 is around 300 quid, also it´s worth keeping an eye on the Hardware/Classified Forum as the odd decent 2nd hand sub pops up for sale now & then (Rel, M&K etc).

The crossover on the sub (depending on what you have selected in terms of speakers Large/Small) can be set at whatever you feel gives you the best sound.

Normally with all speakers set to small and all bass to sub you would set the crossover to maximum, as the amp will be controlling the cutoff (usually around 80/90hz). Alternatively, with the front pair set to large, others to small, bass to both (or LFE&MAIN) you would set the crossover to around the lowest freguency the front pair of speakers go down to e.g 50hz.

3. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I heard the MJ Acoustics Pro 50 at the Bristol show this year and rather liked it. It is ideal if a compact sub is necessary. If you can stand a larger model I agree with Jase that one of Eric's Velodynes would suit you.

THX recommend the amp crosssover set to 80Hz as bass starts to become directional above that frequency but to do that you need to have satellites that will go down to 80Hz or less otherwise it will leave you with a hole in the frequency range.