1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subs to accompany KEF speakers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Jonathan West, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I reckon it's time to get a subwoofer ...

My system = KEFQ35/Q95C/60S speakers with Arcam Alpha 3 stereo amp, Yamaha DSPE492 processor but I am going to replace it with a 6.1 receiver

So if I want to spend £150-£250 what should I get. Yamaha? KEF PSW1000 or 2000? Something else? Huge choice and I understand that there is no need to match the subwoofer to the main speakers ...

My room is "medium" sized 4.5x6.5m.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If thats your maximum budget, i'll suggest you look into secondhand subs or wait until you can afford a litle more.

The Velodyne CHT10 is 325£ in the powerbuy section.
    You should also look at Paradigm PDR10

A bad sub is worse than no sub.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Save a little longer and get the Velo cht-10 or something similar. I had one delivered this week from uncle eric in the power buys section. I'm well impressed with it's performance and for the money it cost a real bargain imo. I had a listen to a rel quake and q150 but these did not compare favourably to the velo.

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    magking is exactly right, under £250 and you will not be buying s subwoofer, you will be buying a 'midwoofer' (copyright U. Eric Esq.)

Just to give you an almost like for like comparison, I have the following speaker set up:

Front L/R - Kef Q55.2
    Centre - Kef 100c
    Rear L/R - Kef Q15.2
    Rear Centre - Kef Q95.2

I used to use a REL Q150 with this system until I bought a Velodyne CHT-10 to compare the sound/effect.

Suffice to say that the Velo is now in my system and the REL made eBay some money out of me just after Christmas.

I would entirely agree with the other posts in your thread, try and save up another £75 and go for the Velo CHT-10 from Uncle Eric in the power buy forum. Not only will you get great service and a great price, you'll also get the best sub this side of £600 and it will integrate very nicely with your Kefs.

Spending the £250 and not going the extra few quid would be the very definition of 'false economy' :)

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Velodyne are bringing out a sub (the VX-10) for £250. They had a non-functioning one at the Bristol show. It looks... distinctive :eek:, but should be worth an audition.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. iabbott

iabbott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar setup:
    Front L/R - Kef Q35.2
    Centre - Kef Q95.2
    Rear L/R - Kef Q85.2
    with a Denon 1802 Amp.

Used this setup for about a year - sounded good, but needed a bit more body. Ended up getting an mj acoustics Pro50. Fantastic sub that really integrates well with the other speakers and is small enough to be wife fiendly!
    Not boomy like a cheap sub, but goes down low enough for the average size room. Really worth saving up the extra ££ and getting a proper sub.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have the Denon 3802 with the following Kef speakers.

L&R Q1
    Ctr Q9
    Rear Q8
    Sub Rel Strata III

Very pleased with my setup but when upgradeitis sets in wil get a Vel CHT15 as I am a 99% Movie man

The Strata III is good with Movies and Music. They come up second hand from time to time on this forum