• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

subs needed

DuranDurandall

Novice Member
I have a Denon avr 4520CI, paired with CV fronts (with 12s), rears and center from the mid to late 90's

Looking to purchase a pair of subs or a single (higher quality) sub with a budget of around 700.

I'm thinking either a pair of BIC PL 200's, a pair of Polk HTS12's - or a single Monolith 12 or maybe an SVS 1000

Mostly will be used for music, using the pre-amp LFE sub outs on my AVR

Any input or suggestions?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have a Denon avr 4520CI, paired with CV fronts (with 12s), rears and center from the mid to late 90's

Looking to purchase a pair of subs or a single (higher quality) sub with a budget of around 700.

I'm thinking either a pair of BIC PL 200's, a pair of Polk HTS12's - or a single Monolith 12 or maybe an SVS 1000

Mostly will be used for music, using the pre-amp LFE sub outs on my AVR

Any input or suggestions?

Definitely one higher quality than few cheap ones or you will be upgrading them early next year. Monolith 12 THX would put all those others to shame, it´s slightly ahead of SVS PB2000 Pro in raw performance. Similar warranty, superb build quality and sound quality is highly praised. Support isn´t as good as with SVS, but otherwise it´s tough to find negatives. Clearly with Cerwin Vegas you don´t want to buy some small toys that can´t keep up and with BIC you will be swapping amps. No mention of room size, but i assume it isn´t smallest with those big ass party speakers. Sure there is smaller sealed subs which may be better purely for music listening, but then again if you listen very loud and want to really feel it / you have larger room to fill out then the ported Mono 12 is your best bet if you can get it within your budget!

MIKEVO

Prominent Member
The CV's are very articulate and very efficient speakers.
I personally would stick with sealed subs that are also fast and will make the CV's shine.
trouble is, what subs to go for? Audition what you can is your best bet bud. :smashin:
Go big or go home. :cool:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The CV's are very articulate and very efficient speakers.
I personally would stick with sealed subs that are also fast and will make the CV's shine.
trouble is, what subs to go for? Audition what you can is your best bet bud. :smashin:
Go big or go home. :cool:

I dreamed about CVs when i was teenager! :D But sadly never got them as we would have gotten eviction..
Oh man i remember these.
71i2swoHSaL._AC_SL1296_.jpg

DuranDurandall

Novice Member
Definitely one higher quality than few cheap ones or you will be upgrading them early next year. Monolith 12 THX would put all those others to shame, it´s slightly ahead of SVS PB2000 Pro in raw performance. Similar warranty, superb build quality and sound quality is highly praised. Support isn´t as good as with SVS, but otherwise it´s tough to find negatives. Clearly with Cerwin Vegas you don´t want to buy some small toys that can´t keep up and with BIC you will be swapping amps. No mention of room size, but i assume it isn´t smallest with those big ass party speakers. Sure there is smaller sealed subs which may be better purely for music listening, but then again if you listen very loud and want to really feel it / you have larger room to fill out then the ported Mono 12 is your best bet if you can get it within your budget!

I knew I was forgetting something! 15'x11' - I call it my "media room" projector setup to the denon with my pc and a few gaming consoles (apart from all the audio equipment you'd expect). not much furniture-wise, just my recliner.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I knew I was forgetting something! 15'x11' - I call it my "media room" projector setup to the denon with my pc and a few gaming consoles (apart from all the audio equipment you'd expect). not much furniture-wise, just my recliner.

You might start to watch movies more with the quality sub in play. You can run the Monolith ported and sealed, but as you probably have read from owners, comparisons, reviews it sounds damn good with music too (ported). I think it would be spot on, adding second later in future. Looks like they have 30day return period there in US, so not much to stress about.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom