Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Subs B&w Asw 675

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ISHANTY, Jan 1, 2004.

1. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Can i have your likes and dislikes on this sub and what subs in this price bracket are better

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi ISHANTY
    I owned this sub for around 6 months and can only say it is excellent given its size,If size isnt an issue there are the bigger velodynes servo15 svs subs that can go deeper and louder but some other members have had problems getting the bigger subs to intergrate with there rooms so there is some risk of ordering blind.I can only state from what subs i have heard the asw is in the very good class and would always say would be a good choice for music and movies.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

3. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    thanx 4 that will bear that in mind,i like it myself just got to make my mind soon

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have the ASW675 and it is superb. It has a very powerful 500 watt amplifer which gives the 10" driver lots of beef.
    It doesn't shake the flat like my SVS did, but the B&W makes up for it with it's compact size and WAF.

5. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Stellavision:

I've understood that you had to give up on your SVS because it was too overpowering, right? What is the size of your HT room where it was set up?

So how does the ASW675 deal with low stuff? It states -6db at 17Hz in B-mode but how does it sound (well, actually feels like) in real life given the boost it can get in the room. I was thinking along the lines of Haunting, Star Wars AOTC opening seqences which have some really low stuff. And does it handle music nicely?

I agree that the small footprint is really nice.

Anyone actually seen a SPL measured graph?

All the best

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Bogi
    I may be able to answer some of your questions as i have owned both subs.I think stella had problems with the appearance not the subs performance.The asw675 does go low enough for you to feel it and it also sounds good with music.The svs on the other hand will really let you feel it and at very high volumes without cracking up it also sounds very good with music,If size isnt a issue i would go svs they have also announced 2 new models that will also blow your wig off.
    Cheers Gonzo.:D

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw an SPL graph online (somewhere, I can't remember where), which conveniently had an SPL graph of the CHT-15 next to it.

I don't remember exactly what was in the graph, but I remember being astonished with the results they obtained for such a tiny sub.

Not very helpful I know, I'll try and find the grapha again for you later.

Dimmy

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    My room is only about 12X13 feet approx, which is moderate I suppose, but I did find that the SVS did dominate my room a little too much and was a little difficult integrating with my Mission M74i's for music.

The B&W does deal with low stuff very well. The likes of Star Wars AOTC it handles with ease, as it does every movie I have thrown at it so far. The little sub goes as low as my PCi 25-31, probably a little lower, and it is capable of very high volumes.
    The main difference I think is more of a feel. I feel the B&W but not the same bottom shaking vibrations through the sofa I felt with the SVS!
    :devil:

My B&W handles music superbly. It integrates very well and gives a superb bottem end foundation to the music.

If I had to some the two subs up briefly, I would call the ASW 675 a gentelman sub and the SVS and out and out monster!:D

Hope that makes sense.:)

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Going out now to the cinema to watch Return of the King:D

10. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks guys for your replies.

I've been in contact with the SVS crew and given the low dollar at the moment it definately is a good deal.

However, size does matter. And a 20-39 is too big IMO. I was looking at the 25-31PC+ and sizewise it might work. However as I live in an ordinary flat with neighbours (thankfully none under me) I'm getting second thoughts. My room is about 1500cu-ft.

I don't want the Shake-floor-rattle-the-glass-then-finally-get-evicted bass. But good extended bass that can reach low for the odd DVD and pipe organ CD. But that sounds really nice with music as well.

It looks like the ASW675 could fit the bill, however, the SVS are really well priced, but as I said my fear is that it might be too overwhelming.

Decisions... decisions...

Now that SPL graph would be great to see.

Cheers

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I would guess that the frequency response on the B&W A675 and the SVS 25-31 PC Plus to be fairly similar so the SVS shouldn't overwhelm if correctly setup any more than the smaller B&W would.

I am not sure that the size of the room is that relevant as we have a forum member who has two SVS subs in his caravan and he loves them

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you want to see how the ASW675 did against the competition, then go to the link below. It is an american publication, so some of the manufacturers are not so popular over here (like Bagend). It does make for interesting reading, though.

For the decibel at x frequency graphs go
    here

For the review index, go here

tests are done by someone called Tom Nousaine whos is a bass expert by all accounts.

Russell

13. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Bogi, Don't forget that SVS do the Box subs too. They cost a little more but domestically much more acceptable, unless it's the B4+ :D.
    I've been thinking of selling my SVS Pci 'toob' and getting a box one (or two) instead.

14. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There's a Velodyne SPL1200 on ebay at the moment, which is probably a better performer than the (albeit excellent) ASW675. I have a feeling it's going to go for silly money. :(

MuFu.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm not sure that I would risk buying a subwoofer on Ebay

16. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    After watching Return of the King at the cinema last night, I was left in awe at the superb power of the subs in there.
    It has got me thinking about going back to SVS with a PB1-ISD and thinking sod the neighbours.:D
    Of course I would'nt be so un-courtious and would only crank it up occasionally, but I do miss the extra feel, and greater air movement that I feel the SVS's larger 12" driver produces.
    I'm not sure how to approach the wife with the idea though:eek:

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Hide all sharp objects before you broach the subject :D

18. rosemanbridge

rosemanbridge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has anyone taken a look at the ASW 750??

19. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yes, it's huge.
    Not had a chance to listen to one though.

20. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I've just approached her and luckily there was no violence.
    But she's happy with what we've got, thinks it's just right for our flat, blah, blah, blah..:(

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324

Yes - I bought one a couple of days back to replace my ASW675.

Differences are -

A lot bigger footprint, it certainly goes lower and the bass has significantly improved impact - hits you in the chest a lot more - and I havent even cranked it up yet :D

Having said all of the above the ASW750 is certainly not twice as good as an ASW675. The price however is.

22. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know, I was also looking at the PB2-ISD however the footprint and size of the box is actually quite big. However, what I really do like is the ability to be able tune it to 20Hz if one wants to.

Thing is, I once had a Paradigm PDR10 (or something like that) and the box was really huge, and I never could tune the sub to be acceptable in my room. Instead, I got another really cheapo one with twin 6.5" elements. Which actually works quite nicely, especially after TMREQ'ing it. However, it's totally dead below 25Hz and drops of really sharp at 30Hz (despite TMREQ'd corner placement), so I guess I miss out on some low stuff quite a bit.

So all in all, I've been thinking that maybe the 25-31pc+ would also fit nicely as there I have the ability to tune it down to 20 Hz. 16" diameter footprint and 32.5" height.

The graphs of the ASW 675 shows that, yes it goes down to 17 Hz, but it drops quite sharply below 32Hz. So I don't know.

I've also been looking at the graphs over at SVS regarding the tuning difference and it looks as though the 25-31pc+ only misses out 2-3 db at 20 Hz (tuned to 20Hz) as compared to the 20-39pc+. Although further down it drops off a bit more rapidly.

Any real life graphs, anyone?

The only thing is that I really don't want, is to get a sub I can't use in real life use, at moderate levels (I rarely, if ever play at ref level, mostly around -12dB).

Cheers

23. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Bogi
    The svs would be fine it sounds really good at low listening levels you can still feel the sub vibrating your seat.Its like most amplification its better to have plenty of headroom than to be right on the edge of the equipments output,I dont think many folks run there systems at reference level very often only when they want to impress there mates.
    Cheers Gonzo.

24. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Hi rags i read with interest you comments regarding theb&W675 & b&w750.As am going to be doing a home demo of a few subs anyday now.I had not consider the 675 but after reading your comment "the 750 is certainly not twice as good as the 675" it got me wondering if the difference in price really represent a £550 up garde in quality or do you think that i can make do with a more reasonably price sub. Its not the money its just the value for money facter.As i think most of this av stuff is over priced.

subs on home demo
    B&Wasw750
    Monitor audio FB212
    And the up grrade for the rel st range
    the rel stampede
    oh yeah iam currently useing a rel strataIII

I await any comments on above subs. cheers!:)

25. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    T Bone -

I have been running the sub in over the last few days and finally gave it a proper crank tonight. Mainly tried it with Monsters inc and Shrek (I know the sound on these films well as my kids have watched them over and over again) and it's superb - lots of clean bass, no boominess, very fast and a huge thump. A lot lot more than the ASW675 can muster. Definately a worthwhile upgrade that put a smile on my face tonight. It really is a huge difference.

The ASW675 is a very good sub but in terms of performance it's definately in a lower league when compared to the ASW750. Whether it's worth £550 more than the ASW675 is a matter of debate but that applies to all things as you move up the ladder. Try both if you can but i'm confident that you will end up choosing the more expensive one - budget allowing :)

26. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Oh by the way I dont know how it compares to the new Rel's (I would imagine favourably) but my uncles got a 200e and it is not even in the same ballpark as the ASW750. For £2K you can pick up some serious subs - 15" Nautilus sub or close to top of the line American (Velo, SVS) although I have not heard any of these. Either way dont go stingy on the sub - it's vital.

27. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Thinks for your help rags i will demo the subs on saterday will let you know how i get on cheers:)

28. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220

Hi rags

Well having had a good play with all the subs i went for the b&W750. All of the other sub had great power and good extension both in movies&music.But it was the 750s subtly with music that really sold it to me as i said above they all had brawn but the 750 had brains to go with the brawn.:D

29. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    A wise move. :D