1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subs and wooden floors

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mooky, Sep 3, 2003.

1. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As i'm in the process of setting up my sub on a wooden floor, i'd be interested in anybody elses experiences/woes with setting up a sub on a wooden floor. Have things like paving slabs under the sub helped and if so how?

Mark.

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a wooden floor and my various subs have sounded fine on it, but I am no expert in these matters.

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Same here - have a wooden floor - B&W ASW675 sounds pretty good on it. Have a large rug in the room though (to be honest I cant notice much difference in the sound with or without the rug) No problems whatsoever.

4. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mooky,
    I had a problem with my Jamo sub (downward firing) on my wooden floor.It tended to sound very hard and metallic, so I put a carpet tile under it and that tamed it, (it also has spikes fitted).
    But the best thing I've tried is two layers of kitchen worktop MDF glued together with long screws thru it to make it spiked to the floor.This has tightened the bass no end and now stops the AV rack resonating, and the telly picture distorting when I give it some welly.
    Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

TTFN

5. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm interesting. I guess my basic worry is that lack of tightness in the bass. I've got a few spare ceramic kitchen tiles from when I did the kitchen. Anybody tried something like this? Are they thick enought for the job?

Mark.

6. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Similar to graham above, I found that a cut to size piece of thick pile, rubber backed carpet was useful to place my sub on. It protected the wood from the spikes to some extent but, more importantly, tightened up the sound a little.

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I had a Rel Q400 on a wooden laminate floor (no rugs) - it sounded great with some cd's / dvd's - but The Haunting just sounded deathly - there must be strange (nodes..?) peaks in my room because I couldnt listen to it - far to loud - fingers in ears loud.

Underneath the my floor is a 5ft drop though - I guess that coupled with the floor didnt help matters at all.

Sold the sub and the house...:D

8. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. I have a similar setup. A laminate floor, under which are old floor boards and then a drop below that. No carpets. I do have a rug under the coffee table. Just wondered whether there were things I could do to help this situation a la a slab under the sub or something.

Mark.

9. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,

I have my Rel Q150 sittng on a laminate floor with spikes. I machined up 4 pieces of brass bar and centre drilled them for the spikes to sit into to protect the floor. They are about 2" (50mm) in diameter and 5/8" (16mm) thick, I backed them with stick on felt so they slide easily and being brass they are quite heavy so there is no vibration problems when the sub is working.

I have seen small disks to buy for speakers to protect the wooden floors but not for subs so I had to make my own and had very good results.

Klippie.

10. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not so much worried about the scratching of the floor etc. More the sonics. Has anybody encountered booming with a sub on a laminate and had success removing this in some way?

11. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    mooky,

No. In my case the room was far to problematic to even consider correcting. I knew what a massive headache and bill I would get if I started to meddle with correcting the boominess. I'm sure you will get a tiny improvement with a slab under the sub, but it will only make matters worse as you will ultimately not correct the problem with that alone. Depending on your levels of acceptance this may be enough for you. Perhaps a Behringer Feedback Destroyer would help? Search the forums for posts on that.

Regards,

GJC

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I am currently experimenting with this. A slab 'cut down' on top of the sub has definately tightened up the sound. With a slab underneath as well the results are different. The bass seems to be less punchy on some dvds. I'm going to finish testing this weekend hopefully.

13. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about positioning ? My sub is in the top left hand corner from my sofa, under the front left speaker

e.g

FrontLeftSpeaker---------TV--------FrontRightSpeaker
    Sub

--------------------------SOFA------------------------------

I'm wondering whetehr either pulling the Sub forward or moving it towards the TV will help.

Mark.

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    My sub is between the tv and the left front floorstander. I tried it before in the corner of the room out of the way but it sounded very boomy.

15. mooky

mooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right will move it around and see if I can cure the boom !