1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subs and music

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by buns, Apr 1, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had a rel storm for a few years now, most of which it has been used primarily as a stereo accessory. At the end of last week I borrowed a more competant amp set up.......since then I have found mysely having to turn the sub of completely for stereo use.

It isnt that the sub is too loud, simply it sounds slow and muddy with what my main pair are now managing. As if there is a permanent sub presence when i dont really want it. Not that the overal sound with the sub is bad, it is a very big sound that goes very deep.

Is this me finding a limit to the storms ability? or have i simply got it set up incorrectly? Or more to the point of the thread, does music require a totally different sub level to films?

ad

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    buns

I have my Rel connected via both high & low level. For low level the amp controls the cutoff etc

I´ve found for Music (the amp is set to Pure Direct) the sub sounds better when the crossover is set quite a bit lower than the supposed lowest frequency my speakers go down to. i.e speakers 70hz but the sub crossover is set at around 40-45hz.

I turned the sub crossover right down as low as it would go, played a cd and then gradually turned up the crossover until the bass was audible (but not overpowering).

It might be worth you playing around with the crossover, volume etc and also the sub position as this can make a LOT of difference.