Subnautica: Below Zero

Lurking Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone other than me playing it....?

It's in much the same vein as the original - which is fine by me, as I loved it. On Series X, the pop-in and mad loading times that plagued the original are things of the past - it looks absolutely beautiful.

Console commands are still a thing apparently (which is a shame - both games deserve to be played properly) so I expect the easy 1K crew will descend on it eventually if/when it's on sale or gets added to Game Pass.

(I picked it up from the Iceland marketplace for a touch over £16,usin gny normal card and without needing a VPN, compared with £30 on the UK store. Nothing more demanding than a change of console region is required....)

I've been playing. Very much enjoying it so far with a really good mix of survival and narrative driven gameplay. I'm playing the Survival mode although the eating and drinking requirements are a bit of a pain so not sure if I should have gone for the mode without them. Hopefully as I get more tech, they become less intrusive.

I've just got my Seatruck although I'm not 100% sure on what I need to do next, I think more exploring is now in order as that should give me access to the depths a little more without gasping for oxygen.

Playing this also but on PC, I really like it. I am playing without the need for food/water as it honked me off in Subnatica 1. I am nearing the end I think, I don't want to spoil anything so I wont say whats happened.

Last edited:
Playing this at the mo too and loving it like you guys :)

It is really a great looking game - visually very striking and immersive And at 60fps is really smooth. As you said LL, a huge upgrade from the first game.

Although i note the original is now X|S updated too and sure enough that now has the 4K 60fps too just like Below Zero on series X - i am now jumping between the two. Set up the FOV too. Controls so jump into BZ, then over to SN1

The first game seems more ‘real’ in some ways - Below Zero has lots of neon and stuff. But both are fantastic.

I have not made in that far in BZ, went with no food/water this time as its a ball ache when i tried it in the first game, and getting tools together, network off pipes. Few missions. Beta camp. Only getting going story wise as i just find myself swimming off exploring, surface diving style as i only have the base breather but i love it.

Brilliant games.

If you have Gamepass and want to try it, the first SN game is on Gamepass, and now with the X|S update it runs 4k60 so is a great show of what you would get with BZ gameplay and performance wise - the first game’s map is bigger too. If you love it, grab BZ too - very different oceans to explore :)

I've just got my Seatruck although I'm not 100% sure on what I need to do next, I think more exploring is now in order as that should give me access to the depths a little more without gasping for oxygen.

If you haven't already found them, have a look for the rebreather and high capacity O2 tank blueprints - they're both relatively close to the start point.

With those equipped, O2 is much less of an issue.

I have the rebreather and larger O2 tank, I think it's more me wanting to explore some of those deep chasms I've seen.

Does the story advance as you stumble across certain areas and objects?

It has seemed to for me.

The first visit to the radio tower on Delta island triggers the appearance of "the pilot" and a new location to visit. I haven't really pursued that yet but it does cue you on to a new point of interest that you need kit that I didn't have before you can explore.

On the way back from Delta to the escape pod, I picked up an SOS. Pursuing that will advance that particular story line.

Don't know beyond that

Just finished this - I enjoyed it , only thing I think is that due to the smaller map and the sea truck you dont really need muliple bases like in Subnatica 1 , I just built one kinda central on the map in the end. Saying that I wasnt on survival - good fun though.

I hadn't expected it to to hit GP quite so quickly. Still, I don't begrudge having supported the devs.

Very well worth a look to anyone with GP - and this time round, people will have to play it properly as the console commands disable achievements!

I hadn't expected it to to hit GP quite so quickly. Still, I don't begrudge having supported the devs.

Very well worth a look to anyone with GP - and this time round, people will have to play it properly as the console commands disable achievements!
I bought it at launch cos I loved the original so much. Like you I am quite happy to support the developers but had actually just planned to sell it on. Looks like I won't bother now!

I didn't like it nearly as much. Didn't find the leviathan's nearly as intimidating, and it didn't fell as big a world to me. I loved the later sections of the original, and for me the story was a bit better. Still a decent experience, but just not as good from my perspective. While the original felt like a survival horror game, this felt more adventury, if that makes sense.

Well it’s done it again, only became available yesterday but haven’t already lost many hours to it, just so damn addictive and unlike the first one which I played through on the One X (man that had major problems) but playing this on the Series X is a pure delight, did briefly try the resolution mode but man the drop to 30fps was rough so back to framerate mode and it’s been a joy ever since :)

Well it’s done it again, only became available yesterday but haven’t already lost many hours to it, just so damn addictive and unlike the first one which I played through on the One X (man that had major problems) but playing this on the Series X is a pure delight, did briefly try the resolution mode but man the drop to 30fps was rough so back to framerate mode and it’s been a joy ever since :)
Yeah it's definitely more suited to X/S. I played the original on an Xbox One and the pop in was horrendous, I'd constantly fall through the scenery and the save corrupted in the final lava area. Had to watch the end on YouTube!

Yeah it's definitely more suited to X/S. I played the original on an Xbox One and the pop in was horrendous, I'd constantly fall through the scenery and the save corrupted in the final lava area. Had to watch the end on YouTube!
Luckily mine didn’t suffer that fate but the framerate drops were pretty horrendous.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom