SubEQ-HT, Dual Subs. WOW!

logiclee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So over the past 20+ years of home cinema medling and installing for other people I've eventually solved a problem in my own room.

For years I've been able to position my Sub (Sub Crawl) method to give a reasonable response for my MLP but I'd always get a nasty Null around 1.5M forward which caused a problem if anyone is sat on the side sofa. Also standing up in the middle of the room the sound is thin which isn't good when music is playing.

Even trying Anitmode and various versions of Audyssey didn't overcome the Null.

I've tried dual subs in the past but hours and hours playing with positioning and level/gain/phase controls never really gave a satisfactory result, I always ended up with a slightly boomy one note bass.

I've recently purchased a BK XXLS400 and very near my preferred position I get good response at my MLP but still get the Null further forward.

So with my B&W ASW610 still available I decided to try a dual sub setup again and let the Receiver have a go at matching and EQ'ing them with SubEQ-HT.

The result has amazed me, for the first time in 20+ years and too many setups to mention I've got full deep bass across all my seating positions. The response is solid, fast and punchy with music and still digs the depths with LFE.

Obviously the results will depend on the room, subs and position but I can't stress what an amazing job the technology has done. I doubt I could have got anywhere near these results even with manual EQ systems and REW. The Audyssey Filters and the matching that SUBEQ-HT provides have been a system changer for me.

Lee

Last edited:
Dual (if possible matching) subs have always been the way to go in my opinion, enjoy :)
(still love my little Anti-Mode though ;))

Last edited:
I've tried using Antimode before and after XT32 but it just dulls the sub too much using both. I think the XT32 filters in Audyssey make the antimode redundant so mine has gone to a good home. (Dad's).

I was going to sell the ASW610, it's a good little sub and for £495 did win whathifi's best subwoofer under £700 for three years on the run.
The XXLS400 really shows it up sonically and for build quality and considering the BK sub is £438 delivered it's a bit of a bargain.
I may even sell the ASW610 and buy another XXLS400 and run Dual BK Subs. But for now the room response is spot on.
I've tried MCACC and YPAO room correction and 2EQ, XT and XT32 variants of Audyssey, I have to say XT32 is in a league of it's own but does need carefull mic placement.
Now I've heard what SubEQ-HT can do they are now going to be a must have requirement on my next purchase.
I'm half tempted to buy the Audyssey pro kit for the ability to do custom curves.

Lee

Interesting reading this.
My amp (Denon X4000) has XT32 and I switch between using the Antimode in addition to this and not.
Sometimes feel having both makes things a little too "polite" for films although feel music benefits from.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom