• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub Xover Frequency?

nikophonics

Established Member
Hi all, was wondering, just how important is the crossover setting on a sub woofer?Surely if a sub is just that! 40 HZ would suffice no?
Mines set at 80HZ. Any advantage setting it much lower (Or higher?)
Thanks guys.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Depends on your speakers (which you don't mention) and your room, for a start.

To answer your question, it's massively important if you want a result that is similar to what is being output to your kit :)

Ambient Fish

Established Member
I have mine set to just above the point where my front left and rights roll off the slight overlap ensures that there is no "gap" in the bass frequencies. For example, if your main speakers reach down to say 45 hertz set the sub to around 50 hertz giving you a slight overlap where the mains roll off at the lower end of their frequency response.

Last edited:

nikophonics

Established Member
I have monitor audio FB10 sub and monitor audio silver 4i fronts. MA fxi rears, and LCR centre. All reach down to approx 43HZ.
A few years old now, but i still love em!So any actual figure for the sub Xover figure then guys.
Oh and the room is 4.5 by 3.0 mtrs.
Thanks guys.

nikophonics

Established Member
Sorry ambient fish! you have just answered my stupid question.
Off to set my sub up properly now>
Many thanks

Ambient Fish

Established Member
I would drop the x over to just below 50 hertz on your sub before you do so play something you know well a short clip with plenty of bass then lower the x over and replay the same clip and see if you like the difference it makes

Ambient Fish

Established Member
Nik, Check your amps x over setting as well, if the amp is doing bass management properly it will be sending bass to the sub and all other frequencies above the x over to your speakers, an easy way to fix things without worrying about what your speakers are doing is to set the amp x over to 60 hertz and set all speakers to small, this takes some of the hard graft of producing low bass away from your amp, if you go this route set your sub to just over 60 hertz, sorry mate I should have put this in the above post.

nikophonics

Established Member
Okey dokey ambient. Many thanks. Lot to be getting on with here!!
Late night/early morning eh.
See you for breakfast then?
(What a nice bloke)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Agreed, go for about 60hz on the AVR and subs xover to max, as a starting point.

Then see what you think.
Feel free to experiment :smashin:

nikophonics

Established Member
Have now adjusted all the parameters on my sub AVR etc. As per ambient fish advice.Was up till 3am messing about, an have just finished listening to some of my favourite stuff. So was it all worth a lost nights sleep? Oh yeah!!!! Cant believe twiddling a few knobs etc could make such a profound difference! Am sure the fairys have changed my kit for stuff costing mega bucks!
Cant impart just how important these settings are WOW!!
Thank you so much ambient for your time and advice.

Ambient Fish

Established Member
I'm glad I could help, I was once in the same boat and I know how frustrating it can be trying to work out what to do, then I came here and learned a whole lot of useful info, many of the people here have the knowledge and more importantly they are willing to share it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom