1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Woofers and Low level X-over.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pwiles1968, Sep 18, 2003.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have been looking at getting a sub for a while but have hit a problem and would like some advice.

My SR5300 can x-over the signals between my fronts and a sub but in source direct mode (which I use for CD's) the default for the amp is sub on and main speakers large, unfortunately this means both speakers and sub will be trying to output bass frequencies and I already have problems in my room at 35Hz. As I see it I have a few options.

-Do nothing don’t use source direct (I will probably have to change bass settings every time I switch over)
    -Buy a sub with Low level x-over (I can x-over between SR5300 and Mono-Blocks) I did fancy a BK XLS200 but it does not have this functionality and I can not afford an ASW675.
    -Put a separate x-over between SR and MA's, I do not know how much these cost.
    -Use BFD? Probably will mean I can not afford to buy a sub at all.

Any suggestions will be helpful, if you are going to suggest alternative sub's, my main interest is for music playback. :confused:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about buying a subwoofer with subwoofer crossover bypass/subwoofer crossover enabled switch? (ie the SVS PC Plus line)

Calibrate your subwoofer low level with crossover bypassed, and also calibrate with crossover enabled (ie crossover set to ~35hz roll-off)

When you want to play a music CD, flip the switch on the subwoofer to crossover enabled. And when you watch a DVD- flip the switch to bypass.

[edit] oh if you want to use high level for music- connect the subwoofer to Speaker "B" then when you want the subwoofer to be off when you watch DVD's (otherwise you'll get LFE plus L/R bass)- disable speaker B.

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Did not really want to mess around with switching anything in and out, when swapping between modes, call me lazy.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Both options more than I can currently afford.

How much are decent Line Level x-overs to put between my SR5300 and the MA6100's?