• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sub Woofer & Speakers or Sub Only?

muzza101

Standard Member
Hi All,

Some opinions on what is the best use of speakers and/or sub please. I use a Denon XVR2400 amp with stand mounted front Mission speakers set to small (can't remember the model but they're well over 10 yrs old and the centre/surrounds are wall mounted) plus the BK Electronics P12-300SB. Do people think this is the best option or should I go bass through front speakers and sub. Also if I did upgrade the front two speakers to floor standers up to £500.00 budget, what would you go for bearing in mind compatibility?

Thanks,

Muzza

gibbsy

A home cinema is designed around the 5.1 format, as are most broadcasts and certainly discs with the .1 LFE channel carrying low frequency effects. Small speakers, even the vast majority of floorstanders and certainly within your budget will not go as low as a subwoofer. Those frequencies below the built in crossover of the speakers will simply be discarded and lost.

New front speakers may improve your audio but you would need to contemplate replacing the centre as well to the same model of speaker to preserve timbre. Then you will have to consider if your room is big enough for floorstanders, they are not as easy to place as standmounts. A pair of standmounts can often outperform floorstanders of a similar price, especially when a subwoofer is involved.

Post a rough sketch of your room with dimensions.

D

Deleted member 39241

What do you think your system is lacking, what would you like to improve?

Speakers that are 10 years old will not necessarily sound worse than new speakers, they don't really age in the same way as other electronics and tech.

muzza101

Standard Member
What do you think your system is lacking, what would you like to improve?

Speakers that are 10 years old will not necessarily sound worse than new speakers, they don't really age in the same way as other electronics and tech.

I sometimes find the sub is too boomy despite endless hours honing it (although I am prepared to agree that it can sometimes be the source material) I have the crossovers in the amp set at 80hz which actually brings me to another point. Do I set the crossover at the back of the sub to 80hz or to 140hz (defeat) and let the amp do the work? As for your comment on the age of the speakers, I agree. They continue to serve me well. I just struggle to get the bass response correct across the front L&R, centre and sub.

D

Deleted member 39241

Okay, there is a lot that can be done to improve the bass response of the subwoofer.

It is easier if you have a way of measuring it, then you can get specific information about what the frequency response is now, and what difference every change makes.

There is some free software called REW, that can measure the room for you, but you will need a decent calibrated microphone to use with it. Or, I think your AVR is compatible with the Audyssey app, so that will measure the sub for you, then you can see what the curve looks like and try and improve it.

Open the crossover on the sub itself wide, as high as it will go, then let the AVR do the bass management. Things you can try to improve the sound are...

Placement, try it in a corner, not in a corner, front of the room, back of the room, side of the room, on isolation, pointed in different directions. You get the idea. You could google subwoofer crawl, which is a thing, not tried it myself. Have you done all of this already?

Once you have the absolute best position for it in the room, you can EQ it, either with the built in EQ on your AVR, or with an anti-mode, or maybe with a different AVR that has better room correction?

simonb3665

Is it a AVR-X2400H you have? If so it has phone app support for Audyssey correction. If you dont already have it then thats probably a good 20 investment. It will enable you to see a graph with your subwoofer response and gives a little more flexibility with editing the target curve Audyssey aims for. As per Rambles advice, if you can move the sub to different positions try that. A different position may give a flatter response which is what you are aiming for.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom