Sub woofer sound not what I expected...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pjgraham86, Mar 13, 2013.

1. pjgraham86

pjgraham86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is the correct forum.

Following my post yesterday, I managed to find a scart to audio cable that allowed me to get the set up menu for my Yamaha YSP2200 soundbar on my Panasonic screen - so far so good.

Once set up I was playing around with music on demand from Virgin Tivo box. The bass from the wireless sub sounded woeful - muddy is how I would describe it. Waterfront by Simple Minds starts with a thumping bass guitar line but it was barely audible or distinguishable.

Should I be tweaking the set up of the soundbar manually ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

PJG

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    My thoughts are that the 'sub' has two 10cm speakers in it and is pretty small. You just won't get decent bass out of something that small IMHO regardless of what the specs say. For comparison my surround back speakers (M&K K4) have a similar sized bass speaker in them and I don't think they go down much lower than 120Hz at any sort of level.

I think you might be better off buying a soundbar for less and adding your own sub like a BK Gemini for example which would still come in around the same price as the set up you have, but will produce some decent bass. For £700 I'd want a better result than 'woeful and muddy'. :(

BK Gemini link