1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Woofer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by cbkia, Dec 17, 2003.

1. cbkia

cbkia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using the Paradigm PDR-10 and thinking of upgrading to a more powerful sub.

These are what I have in mind:

Defintive Prosub 80
    Definitive Prosub 100TL

I am leaned toward the 100TL as its using a 10" cone (same as my current sub). Both are rated at 250W RMS, thus, should be an upgrade over my 120W one.

My main purpose of the sub is for watching movies. Also listen to classical and ocassional Jazz.

Are there any other brands you folks would recommend over those 2?

I have also heard that British subs (no offense to Brits) don't produce as much bass compared to American ones. The Brit subs are designed to blend nicely with speakers to produce natural sounding bass, not those strong booming type meant for movies. Thus, my impression is that Brit subs are mean for HiFi and US ones are meant for movies.

I did audition the MJ Acoustics Reference 100 before (since its a Best Buy by What Hifi). However, I don't quite like the bass. It doesn't go as deep as my PDR-10 and doesn't produce much "boom" in movies.

Thanks for your help!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Don't be misled by hardware specifications as they are meaningless especially if you are just quoting the size of the driver and the power output of the amp as the quality of the component is far more important than the size.

Definitive Technology has never been a major player in the UK market which is a shame as I had the Pro Cinema satellites and thought them rather good but I had them coupled with an excellent British REL subwoofer