Sub-Woofer Question Help Needed?

bluesjunior

Standard Member
Hi, I bought a little 100w 12vdc amp on Ebay recently to use in my workshed/gym/mancave coupled to an unused iphone. At first I just coupled it to a pair of cheap 8w speakers I had from an old PC but was so surprised at the sound quality from the amp I decided to test them on a pair of B&O 4ohm S35 speakers I had, which although being unused for approx 20yrs were in excellent condition. Again this was a success and I was impressed.

On the amp there is an outlet for what is called super Bass and I hooked the powered subwoofer from the old PC set into it and it works but being a cheap set it isn't really compatible with the rest of the set up and distorted easily. As a test I also tried fitting an 8" 4ohm driver from a Bugera V5 guitar amp I had upgraded and this was better(no distortion) but I realised it was not really a sub woofer so I started googling on subwoofers and am planning on building my own.

I am a very capable woodworker DIY enthusiast and am used to soldering etc on my various guitars and amps so it isn't really a problem other than not knowing enough technically on what would be a good match for a woofer to use with this setup?. As this is just for my workshop it needn't be expensive in fact the cheaper the better to an extent so would appreciate a bit of advice, know how from you more experienced members. Any more info needed just ask.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
so I started googling on subwoofers and am planning on building my own.

I am a very capable woodworker DIY enthusiast and am used to soldering etc on my various guitars and amps so it isn't really a problem other than not knowing enough technically on what would be a good match for a woofer to use with this setup?. As this is just for my workshop it needn't be expensive in fact the cheaper the better to an extent so would appreciate a bit of advice, know how from you more experienced members. Any more info needed just ask.
Hi, you may get more responses asking in the DIY section here, or maybe someone could move it there for you :)
DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building

MemX

How much do you want to spend?
How large can it be?
How loud do you want it to be?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom