1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub Woofer LFE SPL Level

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stewart C, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what I set my subwoofer L.F.E.level at using my Radioshack Sound Pressure Level Meter.

I'm not going to mention what I have it at as I don't want to bias anyone's opinion.

What does everyone set their's at ?

Regards

Stewart Clanachan

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my Denon AVC-A1D I set the sub level the same as the main channels on the test tone, about 75db. I think you are meant to assume that the mix of whatever you are listening to is "flat". The main problem with using an SPL meter of this type is it records the "peak" frequency. Suppose that 1Khz, in your room, was 2db louder than any other frequency then you may set all your speakers to 75db when, in fact, only 1Khz is actually output at 75db. Then (assuming flat bass response) you will set your sub to 75db and your sub is out by 2db. A highly unlikely scenario I know but it shows how difficult it is to get things correct. I use a test CD that has single tones on that somebody from this forum pointed me towards (www.stryke.com) and it is amazing how the volume of different frequencies varies!

Then, to top it all, somebody on this site (bless them) gave me the corrections required for the RS SPL meter! It's not totally accurate across frequencies itself.