Sub woofer intermittent fault

Hey all

New member so please be gentle!

I have a Denon AVR-X2700H amp and I’m having sub issues.

When I turnthe system on the sub would display the usual red “on but not active “ light but then display the green “in use” light when I played any source on 5.1.

Now the light stays red even with 5.1 running and I can only get it to activate if I flip through the various sound scapes on the amp but even then it’ll turn itself back to red inactive state after a moment.

I’ve asked Seven oaks hi fi (where I bought the amp). Unsurprisingly they claim it must be the sub.

I’ve ordered a new sub from Amazon so I can check if it’s the sub or not.

anyone have any ideas or experience of this issue and advise as to the culprit, amp or sub?

many many thanks

tony

It could be that the signal from the AVR is too low to activate the auto-on feature.

The cure is to either increase the signal by turning up the trim level in the receiver but then you would have to reduce the gain/volume on the sub to bring it back to the same listening level as before.

The second and more convenient way is to do it old school and deactivate/bypass the auto-on and just have the sub always on.

It could be that the signal from the AVR is too low to activate the auto-on feature.

The cure is to either increase the signal by turning up the trim level in the receiver but then you would have to reduce the gain/volume on the sub to bring it back to the same listening level as before.

The second and more convenient way is to do it old school and deactivate/bypass the auto-on and just have the sub always on.
Hi!

thanks so much for your reply.

my worry was that this is a new issue. The sub always worked on these settings before so the fact that it now didn’t makes me think there’s an issue somewhere.

I will try your suggestion though. I’ve looked through the amps sub woofer menu and can’t see an auto on feature. All I have is a low frequency only or all frequencies. I’ve changed it to all but it hasn’t fixed the issue. I’ll look again and see if I can find an auto feature.

many many thanks for your reply!

tony

In your post you wrote:-

When I turn the system on the sub would display the usual red “on but not active “ light but then display the green “in use” light when I played any source on 5.1.

which Indicates an auto-on feature.

My subwoofers show a red light when first switched on then turns green once the amp has stabilised.

Another thing is to try different cable between the receiver and sub just to make sure that is not faulty.

What subwoofer do you have?

In your post you wrote:-

When I turn the system on the sub would display the usual red “on but not active “ light but then display the green “in use” light when I played any source on 5.1.

which Indicates an auto-on feature.

My subwoofers show a red light when first switched on then turns green once the amp has stabilised.

Another thing is to try different cable between the receiver and sub just to make sure that is not faulty.

What subwoofer do you have?
Hi!

I have kef cube. I’ve checked the back and I don’t have any option settings between on and auto, just the on/off switch.

I realise that the auto settings could be an amp feature but there’s nothing there apart from the “do you have a sub?” Option on set up.

the fact that it used to activate automatically to 5.1 suggest to me either an amp or sub issue.
I’m just hoping that it’s a simple sub switch out as setting up the amp was a major pain.
I spent years installing av systems at work and for friends but even I had to get the Sevenoaks installation team over to get it working properly.

thanks again for your reply and I’ll try the new lead that comes with the new sub first to check.

tony

There is a few different Kube subs. The two manuals I've looked at do not show an adjustable auto-on so must be permanently on.

Lets see what happens with the new sub. :smashin:

There is a few different Kube subs. The two manuals I've looked at do not show an adjustable auto-on so must be permanently on.

Lets see what happens with the new sub. :smashin:
Will do!

thanks for the reply. Was fairly sure I was doing the right thing but always nice to have it confirmed by an expert!

I’m kinda an old geezer now, (past 50 anyway) and thought I’d check in case I was missing something new I was unaware of.

Thanks again mate. Much appreciated!

Tony

Thank you for the compliment but I am no expert just a hobbyist. :)

As for you being an old geezer, lets just say my eldest is 52. :eek:

Well another opinion is always welcome and I’ll take your hobbyist knowledge over Sevenoaks “expert” advice any day.

as to the old geezer moniker let’s go with the “as old as you feel some days “ descriptive 🤪

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom