1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub with Dialogue Question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by (GTV)Chris, Oct 23, 2004.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

This may sound a wee bit thick, but.. Is the sub active during dialogue on a 5.1 setup.
    The reason being that the dialogue always sounds a bit thin coming thru my B&W C6 centre?
    I know it kicks in where the fronts and rears cannot go any lower, mailny with LFE.
    I just wondered if I could get that lovely deep resonant vocal sound that you get in the theatres :)

Cheers

Chris

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    Yes it is but whether it does anything or not depends on your crossover frequency and other settings.

What amp are you using and what are your speaker / crossover settings ?

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Yamaha DSP A5 amp, with B&W's all round, C series at front and VM-1's at rear.
    Old Yamaha Sub which will be upgraded soon.
    Fronts 60Hz - 22kHz ± 3dB on reference axis
    Centre 70Hz - 22kHz ± 3dB on reference axis

Hope this helps

Chris

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris i would check all your settings includeing your Distance/Delay setting as this can also effect the reactions your sub has with the rest of your speakers,
    Have you got a Test disc like the Avia or Video Essentials cause it has Frequency sweeps and you can see realtime where the gap is, if not set correctly or should i say the sub should blend in seamlessly with the rest of the speakers.

John :)

5. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Yes I have AVIA...although most of it went straight over my head :blush:
    I also think that my sub could be on the way out. Using the frequency crossovers..the unit popped like crazy...so i turned the volume down...then when I watched a movie trhere was no bass pressence? So I turned it up..I don't know..perhaps I just need to sit with it for a few hours and fine tune.

C

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    OK Chris - I used to own a DSPA5 before i changed it to a DSPA2. It doesnt allow you to set the crossover frequency.

Chris firstly please check your speaker settings - the A5 allows you to set your speakers as large or small - given the frequency response figures you have given above ensure that the fronts, centre and rears are all set to "small". From recollection I think the A5 also allows you to independantly set where you want the bass to be directed - sub, speakers or both. I am not sure how this interacts with the speaker settings but your really interested in the "sub" setting. If your A5 settings are different to the above then this should help. Apologies if you already know all of the above.

Also try calibrating your system with an SPL meter - for example my system doesnt sound so good if the calibration is out, especially the centre.

You could also try moving the sub around to see if that changes anything - your current position may result in a response dip at your listening position around the dialogue frequency range.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would chris just to be sure and if still not happy and it does turn out to be poorly then it will be a good excuse for upgradeing.

John :)